Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,384   Online: 697

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As far as I know, the Skopar has always been a Tessar type. Same goes for the Schneider Xenar.

As far as a Zeiss lens on a Voigtlander camera, I would expect that the lens was replaced at some point, as Voigtlander cameras came with Voigtlander lenses. However, I hesitate to say "always," because you have to leave open the possibility that the camera was ordered with a Zeiss lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    As far as a Zeiss lens on a Voigtlander camera, I would expect that the lens was replaced at some point, as Voigtlander cameras came with Voigtlander lenses. However, I hesitate to say "always," because you have to leave open the possibility that the camera was ordered with a Zeiss lens.
    I have an ICA cameras,a Volta, with a tessar lens.

The Volta was later made by Zeiss-Ikon, after ICA was absorbed, but my camera is badged as an ICA - so might be expected to have a Goertz lens, maybe? But the Volta was bottom of the range, a very simple affair. It might be expected to have a very simple shutter and a humble lens. The Tessar is a very nice optic, in a compur shutter, so something doesn't seem right.
    I suppose that in 80 years or so - a lot can happen! I have a Butcher cameo with damaged bellows - and another similar folder with good bellows but a sticky shutter. I reckon the fix to get a working camera is too easy and too tempting for it not to have been a common occurrence
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Please can you measure the width of the focussing screen, accurately, in millimetres?
    9x12 cm is the measurement of the opening for the image area, exactly.

The ground glass has a little slack to it on the long side (12cm side) and can move around a little. Someone said it is not a stock ground glass as it is missing the Voigtlander logo stamped into the leather.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If anyone has any film holders they want to trade for some Hasselblad focusing screens.. I have three Hassy screens I'll never use. Ebay has them priced generally in the $20 - $40 or higher range.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    9x12 cm is the measurement of the opening for the image area, exactly.

Sorry,

I didn't explain myself very well.

I meant the external dimensions of the focussing slide - i.e: what would the width of the 9 X 12 cm holders be?

I ask because I have various bits and pieces which I suspect are for an 9 X 12, including a roll film back, but I am not sure whether they would fit. I have bought many slides and holders in the past in the hope they would fit something or other - very often they do not, even if you get the right width, because the actual shape and thickness of the lip that engages in the rail on the back of the camera can vary, too. I have had plate holders that are just the right width to fit the camera, but have been bent from metal too thick to slide into the camera back...

Best of all might be a picture of the edge of the holder?
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ICA didn't make lenses -- just cameras. It used a third party to supply lenses, including Carl Zeiss Jena.

Voigtlander was a bit different in that it made both lenses and cameras. Agfa also made lenses and cameras. I'm trying to think of an Agfa camera that came with a non-Agfa lens (Zeiss, Schneider, Rodenstock, etc.), but I can't think of one at the moment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as plate and rollfilm back compatibility, do some internet digging. If memory serves, The back on your Avus is also compatible with the Zeiss Maximar (Zeiss had at least four different backs) and the Nagel Kodaks. It also seems to be the most common standard of several used at the time. My Suydam rollfilm back states on the packaging "For Voigtlander, Zeiss Maximar and Kodak Recomar"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ICA didn't make lenses -- just cameras. It used a third party to supply lenses, including Carl Zeiss Jena.
    No, it didn't make lenses, but it did 'badge' some of the cheaper ones.

The thing that is suspicious about my ICA camera is not so much that it has a Zeiss lens as the fact that it is a bottom of the range camera with a Zeiss Tessar lens and compur shutter - I would have expected it to have had a more humble optic... either an ICA badged 'Helios' or a Geortz anastigmat or something similar.

I took my Haughton Butcher Cameo's lens off the front standard at the weekend to clean and service the shutter. The camera proudly boasts 'Made in Great Britain' on the outside. Hidden inside is some German writing, hinting that the camera is imported (I suspect possibly from ICA) -and stamped on the back of the shutter (where you can't see it until you take it off) is stamped 'Wollensak, made in the USA"!
    Steve

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    The thing that is suspicious about my ICA camera is not so much that it has a Zeiss lens as the fact that it is a bottom of the range camera with a Zeiss Tessar lens and compur shutter - I would have expected it to have had a more humble optic... either an ICA badged 'Helios' or a Geortz anastigmat or something similar.
    The Tessar could very well be the original lens for your camera. The "cheap" single extention ICA Niklas could, for example, be bought with a Novar or Hekla in a simpler AGC shutter or a 4,5 Litonar, 6,3 or 4,5 Tessar 10,5 or 12 cm in Compur.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/ica_1.html
    J. Patric Dahlén

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as a Zeiss lens on a Voigtlander camera, I would expect that the lens was replaced at some point, as Voigtlander cameras came with Voigtlander lenses.
    One of my Voigtländer Avus 9x12 has a Tessar. In my case, I know exactly why and how it happened. I replaced the Skopar with a Tessar in 2009. My 6,5x9 Avus now has a Dagor. Another 9x12 Avus came with a 6,3 Voigtar. I bought it because it accepted Compur 0 so I could use it with my Steinheil Orthostigmat.

I'm a user when it comes to plate cameras, and like to try different classic lenses, but I've kept the original ones in case I want to sell the cameras to collectors.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin