Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,822   Online: 842

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Voigtländer Skopar 4,5/13,5

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    From what little I know, it doesn't seem to be a Tessar type. I've taken the front elements off and they appear to be sandwiched not separated by air. But maybe I'm not able to see it clearly.
    It is a Tessar type. I went through some trouble when I wanted to clean the front and second element. I had to use a friction tool to unscrew the retaining ring for the front element. I hate this kind of lens mounts.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/4...lean-lens.html

Now the Skopar is clean, but I didn't find it sharp enough for my taste (sample variation, as many Skopars are very sharp), so I replaced it with a Zeiss Tessar. I'm now thinking about replacing the oh so common Tessar with a Eurynar or Iricentor. :rolleyes:
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    It is a Tessar type. <snip> <snip> <snip> Now the Skopar is clean, but I didn't find it sharp enough for my taste (sample variation, as many Skopars are very sharp)
    I saw some photos taken with an identical camera on an eBay listing. The seller showed a whole gallery of images he took with his. What I saw was the kind of clarity in the mid tones with an ultra rich grayscale that made me want to shoot this right away. I don't know if my mind is thinking the prevailing thoughts or if I'm out on my own limb, but I have this stigma about the very old camera manufacturers that were still around until just a few years ago, and Voigtlander being the first manufacturer, it is rather nostalgic for me. So, what I'm trying to say is I'm going to leave it stock with the Skopar lens unless I can find an upgrade in the Voigtlander line.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    I don't know if my mind is thinking the prevailing thoughts or if I'm out on my own limb, but I have this stigma about the very old camera manufacturers that were still around until just a few years ago, and Voigtlander being the first manufacturer, it is rather nostalgic for me. So, what I'm trying to say is I'm going to leave it stock with the Skopar lens unless I can find an upgrade in the Voigtlander line.
    That's how I feel about Rollei, since I started collecting their TLRs. I want them as original as possible, and say "no" to any pre-war Rolleiflex or Rolleicord with later added flash sync, coated lenses or with a more modern viewing hood.

Voigtländer Plate cameras are very nice. The more expensive Bergheil cameras came with a Heliar lens with a bayonet mount, so you can change lenses easily. I'm thinking about making a couple of bayonets that I can use with the other lenses I have.
    J. Patric Dahlén

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    I'm thinking about making a couple of bayonets that I can use with the other lenses I have.
    If somebody were to sell such bayonets, I'd buy them. I've got a bunch of lenses that I'd like to try, but I'm simply too lazy to make them myself.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    If somebody were to sell such bayonets, I'd buy them. I've got a bunch of lenses that I'd like to try, but I'm simply too lazy to make them myself.
    Ditto. I've asked a firm that has a CNC Laser cutter, and the first bayonet cut would cost about 800 SEK (100 USD). The following ones would be much cheaper, so I would sell a couple to make it worthwile. I can't afford it in the foreseeable future though.

A guy in Germany (I can't remember his name. ) made Bergheil bayonets that he sold on eBay a couple of years ago. They were hand made from aluminum. I bought one for my 6,5x9 Bergheil, and it works very well. But if I have new bayonets Laser cut they would be of steel or brass, and for 9x12.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Rusbarsky View Post
    As far as plate and rollfilm back compatibility, do some internet digging. If memory serves, The back on your Avus is also compatible with the Zeiss Maximar (Zeiss had at least four different backs) and the Nagel Kodaks. It also seems to be the most common standard of several used at the time. My Suydam rollfilm back states on the packaging "For Voigtlander, Zeiss Maximar and Kodak Recomar"
    I took this information and used it to decide on making a purchase of three film holders for the Kodak Recomar by one of the top dollar sellers on eBay. He had plate holders for Zeiss, and a couple film packs for Voigtlander and those were expensive (in my mind), and then there were these three Kodak Recomar film holders and they were cheep by comparison so I bought them risking like all of $19 including shipping.

Now I received them this morning. During lunch slipped one on my Avus and it's a perfect fit! Here's a photo to prove it. So there probably are some variances along the way with product lines, maybe there's some Recomar film holders that won't work, but these do!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00083-20100526-1301.jpg  
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I made an impulsive purchase on my way home. Bought a paper cutter. I've got three cameras needing special size film, that I have not shot yet, so I decided 4x5 is pretty cheep, I'll cut it and take the strips and save them for something neat later on so that nothing goes to waste. (I hate waste.. throwing away value.. big no no) So I cut down some HP5 and loaded the three film holders and I'll be shooting them tomorrow and developing them. I will not be able to enlarge them until I can find a source for an Omega D5XL negative carrier. Maybe I'll have to take a smaller size and have it cut larger. So instead of enlarging I'll contact print and share the first shots from this camera so that the thread may be of further value down the line - the next time someone stumbles across a camera like this, then they will have a lot to read about it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to the 9x12 club, I have 5 so far A bit of black shoe polish will restore that leather covering quickly.

Have to agree the backs not original but I have that problem with one of mine as well, a Rodenstock, and despite being in excellent condition the bellows are wrong, too short and not original and there's quite a variation in plate holders. Film inserts were made but can be hard to find, but Rada & Rollex 6x9 roll film backs are quite easy to find.

From the early 30's 9x12 cameras were often sold with film packs. I have some adverts for these cameras I can copy for you when I'm back in Turkey.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I have some adverts for these cameras I can copy for you when I'm back in Turkey.
    Oh that would be cool. I love these old cameras and all the things from the old days. I remember in the 1970's, when bored and because mom didn't let me watch a lot of TV, I'd run out of games run out of everything to do so there was that giant stack of National Geographic and the Colliers Encyclopedias and all of our atlases. Well, I practically memorized all the National Geographics from 1962 until my mom stopped the subscription in the 1970's. I loved the advertisements. Photographs of liquid silver dripping all over the page. Yeah, those were the photographs!

Anyway, I saw on ePay someone selling a Burgheil manual and some kind of advertisement. I was so shocked, it wound up selling for above $45, for after that price I felt disgusted and removed it from my watch list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I shot three sheets of film today. One holder is a leaker. I'm going to go out on a limb and propose that the leaker is the one film holder which is bent in the middle. Does anyone know whats a good way to flatten this sheet metal without making the dimensions change? It is bent midway down the length of the holder, but not by much. I don't feel its right to just bend it back by my hand because of that crease that slides down the channel on the body. Anyone have experience with that? or a guesstimate?

I'm waiting for the negatives to dry. I pulled HP5 to 200 iso, and developed in Ilfotec DDX 8 minutes in BTZS tubes and have very nice and medium to dense negatives. Going to make some contact prints, but not sure about tonight - it's getting late.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin