Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,827   Online: 812

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njelle View Post
    dude! 77 bucks ona 120 holder seriously?
    i have two graflex 31/2x 4 6x9 roll film holders that do 120 and 220 i got them accidentally too becuase i was wnating 4x5 holders for less than 60 bucks if you want i could post them to you, only thing is am in europe...
    Wow, that price sure sounds good to me right about now (now that I've had some bad luck loading my favorite film Adox CHS Art). But maybe the postage is so high it makes it too costly. Well, I'm going to try out some other films and give it some time before I speak up for your offer. Thanks!
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ask if you can return it. It is worth a shot. The worst the seller can say is no.

You can get certain films in that format, or trim down your own (a bit of a P.I.T.A. IMO). Ilford usually makes them when they do their yearly run of special sizes.

You can find medium format roll film holders for 3x4 Graflok backs. 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9. Hope you have a Graflok back, though! They are also pretty hard to track down, and you have to be patient.

Too bad film packs are no longer made. As you see above, you can get film pack holders for next to nothing.

You can, of course, sell it at a loss and consider it a lesson.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    Way cool! I love those both. Especially FP4+. Do you know when the next ULF run takes place?
    The *next* run? 2011, I suppose.

But the current run is still in progress, so you don't have to wait until 2011.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just received my Adapt-a-roll holder. I sacrificed a roll of Adox CHS Art 50 to practice loading with and the dang roll just come unwound before I even got the dang thing on the spool holder, if you can imagine Adox is very very curly but man, it is impossible to load in this holder. So, I do not have instructions for this, I do not know where I'm supposed to line up the film to the start line, and where to make the setting on film counter so I know where frame 1 begins. Is it easy enough to describe? Could you tell me where the film is supposed to line up?
    I have a Century Graphic with a "23" roll back... I originally read online how to load it but I can't seem to find it now, so I'll do my best to explain, though I'm not sure how different the Adapt-a-roll is.
    There's a counter knob on top and it should be just past the 8 (or whatever is the last number on the roll if you have 6x7 format instead of 6x9)
    Load up your film by opening the case, take out the inner guts.
    Jab the loaded spool in the left spool section with the paper coming out the bottom. Wind it around the outside of the back, take your take-up spool and insert your paper backing tab in that then load it into the take-up spool area. This is the easiest way I've found for this.
    Wind on only until the arrow on your backing paper matches up to the little arrow on the loading side (it's at about 2:30 if it was a clock hand).

At this point you can turn the counter knob on the top until it won't turn anymore, it'll be a little past the arrow for the S (start). Then load it all back into the back housing and wind wind wind until you get to 1. It'll seem like a lot! Take picture, press silver lever to the left, wind onto 2, etc.

I'm chronically bad at remembering to wind on after I take the picture so I get lots of double(sometimes triple) exposures.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    I have a Century Graphic with a "23" roll back... <snip> I'm not sure how different the Adapt-a-roll is.
    Actually it is quite different. The Adapt-a-roll is like that Calumet roll film holder with both spools on one side of the holder and a nice slim section that slides into your camera's back. Even a spring back will work because there's no thicker protrusions. The protrusion where the rolls are themselves overhang external to the actual dark slide/film gate area.

I sacrificed now two rolls of film. The last roll I busted the film backing, ripped it in half thanks to my Viking genes as I really tried to force the film to advance :rolleyes: But at this point I figured it out..

When loading the Adapt-a-roll, one gets the feeling immediately that they should have been born an Octopus with 8 arms. You have to learn new skills to keep the feeding roll from unwinding (gotta love that zzzzzzzzzzip sound!). I was putting the film in backwards through the film gate which is why I was having such a hard time. But like I said I fingered it out....
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    ....I'm not sure how different the Adapt-a-roll is....
    Hi again Heather, say, I decided to take a picture of this film back so everyone can see better what I was talking about.

This adapter, if it works as stated, is quite a nifty device. But it tricky to load. I might have to write up some instructions for the next person who doesn't know how to use it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00063-20100511-1433.jpg   IMG00064-20100511-1434.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi again Heather, say, I decided to take a picture of this film back so everyone can see better what I was talking about.

This adapter, if it works as stated, is quite a nifty device. But it tricky to load. I might have to write up some instructions for the next person who doesn't know how to use it.
    Are there not tips on the Graflex dot org Website (http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/adapt-a-roll.html)?

Also, I think my Adapt-A-Roll might have the instruction booklet. I know it has the original box and alternate dark slides for different formats. Lemme see if I can dig it up and get back to you. If so, I can scan the booklet and post it here.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-11-2010 at 06:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Are there not tips on the Graflex dot org Website (http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/adapt-a-roll.html)?

Also, I think my Adapt-A-Roll might have the instruction booklet. I know it has the original box and alternate dark slides for different formats. Lemme see if I can dig it up and get back to you. If so, I can scan the booklet and post it here.
    What an offer 2F/2F! That would be sweet to see original instructions! I did look at that page on graflex.org and funny thing this is how I did it too, using the tape of the film to let me know when to stop winding and when to put dark slide in. I may have only counted 4 clicks instead of 5 though. Will find out how that goes by later tonight as I'll have shot my first roll and developed by then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Will find out how that goes by later tonight as I'll have shot my first roll and developed by then.
    So, findings in. Three birds, one stone.

1. Leaf shutter in Zeiss Ikon lens is ... (you guessed it) slow!
    2. Focal plane shutter on Speed Graphic is ... dead on accurate (at 1/1000, 1/900, the two speeds I checked).
    3. I need more practice loading the Adapt-a-roll. First frame halfway eaten by light leak and too much film wasted in begining. Last frame cut off about half or two thirds. And I need to lubricate (maybe dry lube?) the counter. I had to go by the sound of the clicks at one point because it didn't advance the dial.

Oh, and that reminds me.. to sum things up.. Ansco John:

Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Hmmmm. Splitting 5x7 into two useable sheets; plus shards for checking developer; 2x time to clear for hypo tests. I do not see it as that wasteful.
    I had a look at the pricing on the ULF run Ilford has going now, and the prices just made me cringe. Who cares about a little physical waste when the price is less than half to cut down a 4x5? I'm just going to cut down 4x5. The shards I'll keep, and maybe do something else with them like... perhaps a photo-mosaic by taping them together on the back side and then loading them in a 11x14 pinhole camera in a rather haphazard but zen-like fashion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin