Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,489   Online: 972

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 620 film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't know if it was the difference between b&w film vs color or just the intensity of the light, but I had some red leaks when shooting color film on a very bright day with a Wirgin Auta. I kept the windows open for the minimal amount of time (ie wound twice, opened the window only long enough to insure I positioned it correctly on the third winding rotation). I also had my back to the sun to minimize direct light.

Come to think of it, most of the shots on that roll were fine. It was only the shots taken in an extremely bright (~EV 16) day that had issues. The shots in a 6-12 range didn't have problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about your red porthole cameras,
    Rick, but I can say from experience that if you
    load an Argus 75 with Tri-X and go out and
    shoot in open shade outdoors on a sunny spring
    day (around the Central Park Reservoir, in my
    case), and you leave the hole uncovered, each
    of your negatives will have a round circle in the
    middle of the frame, with the frame number imprinted
    in the middle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    I don't know about your red porthole cameras,
    Rick, but I can say from experience that if you
    load an Argus 75 with Tri-X and go out and
    shoot in open shade outdoors on a sunny spring
    day (around the Central Park Reservoir, in my
    case), and you leave the hole uncovered, each
    of your negatives will have a round circle in the
    middle of the frame, with the frame number imprinted
    in the middle.
    It may be that the plastic on your Argus has fadedover the years. Its just that I haven't had that happen with any of my cameras(yet). I will say that its hard to see the numbers on my Duaflex, the plastic is thick and the numbers are barely perceptable throught it. My brownie is a tad easier to read, tho I dont use it much. It may be a factor of how I carry them, most of the time they ride in my gear bag until wanted, shot taken then put away. Occasionally my Duaflex is all I carry, hanging around my neck for the day. Maybe you can recoat the window on yours with some red dye or ink. Maybe tape some red cello over the window.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use some cameras with this red window, Rolleiflex (Original and Standard), Ikonta's and Super Ikonta's C (6X9cm), in 100 and 400 ISO B&W : no problem until today; and I often forget to take care with that...
    As Rick writes, it may be some plastic fades.

Shooter
    35mm
    When these cameras were new, ASA 64 was considered fast film, so the light penetrating the red window wasn't as much of an issue as it is with ASA 400. A lot of later cameras have a metal cover that slides over the red window. Just to be sure, I would keep the window covered, except when winding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been thinking about that as well. I dont shoot anything faster than iso 125 film in my toys, may be a contributing factor for not imprinting a number on my negatives. My Duaflex specifies 100 or 125 speed film, since the shutter/aperture is optimized for those, thats what I use. I've loaded a roll of Adox CHS 25 Art in the Duaflex this morning, cant wait to see what that gives me.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Brownie Hawkeye, I can use a 120 roll in the feed, I need a 620 spool for takeup. If you have to send your film into a lab, be sure to ask that they return your spool.I have shot TMax 400 in my Brownie without problem in the red porthole.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot HP5 in my Brownie Hawkeye with no problems. I use 120 film with a 620 take up spool. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strange - I have used cameras where the red filter has fallen out of the hole in the back - leaving the backing paper exposed - and still not got an imprint in the film. I mostly use FP4+ and HP5+.
    I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that I seemed to have got away with it.
    Never tried it with Tri-X. Maybe some film backing papers are less lightproof than others?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 6x17 camera has a plain clear window and I have no problems with even 400 ISO films. I have on occasions forgotten to close the window and even in the extreme sunlight in Turkey haven't had an issue with light passing through the backing paper with Tmax 400, Delta 400 & HP5.

Ian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin