Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,734   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 620 film

Shooter
    35mm

620 film

Will 120 film work in a camera that uses 620 film? I have an Argus 75 my mom gave me that I want to try out. I'm sure its probly a piece of junk, but sometimes older cameras have flaws that work out for the better. For instance, I have a Bolsey B2 that has a little mold on the lens and images from it are rather unique. They look old and very ghostly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    120 film itself is the same size as 620.

Unfortunately, a 120 spool is different from a 620 spool - so unless you transfer the film and backing paper to a 620 spool, and have a 620 spool available to takeup the exposed film, you may not be able to use the 120 film.

There are cameras that you can put a 120 roll and spool into the feed side, as long as there is a 620 spool on the takeup side.

There are also technicians who can modify some 620 cameras in order to permit use of 120 spools (Kodak Medalist's are a good example).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an Argus 40 (among other 620 cameras) and I just take a file to the plastic 120 spool that the film is on. You only need to take about 2mm off of the diameter and 1mm off of the length to get it to fit. MattKing is correct, you will need a 620 spool for the take up side, as the slot size is different. You can also re-roll, I used to, but found that filing a spool was easier for me. YMMV.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I remove the film from the 120 spool and rewind it onto a 620 spool. Google and you'll find several sites that offer instructions. It's not hard; the only real trick is that because of the smaller core diameter on the 620 spool, the film/paper interface will develop a "bump" at the point where the film is attached to the paper. I just gently unstick the tape, smooth out the "bump" and retape the film. Has always worked fine for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    !20 film will certainly work in a 620, however, you must Either re-spool it from the 120 reel to a 620 reel,If you have one, or file down a 120 reel to fit,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just be careful if you re-spool - make sure you do it in a dust free place - vacuum clean your changing bag (if you use one) and trim your fingernails! I've re-spooled quite a few 120 roll films onto 620 spools and quite often manage to get dust or scratches onto the film...

There will probably be one old spool in the camera but not two. You can buy odd spools on ebeegeebay - but they usually want silly money. You can make spools yourself. I've made them from both wooden dowel and brass tube (from model suppliers). You fix disks on the end cut from plastic or metal sheet... or visit a junk sale and look for a really beaten up kodak 620 going very cheap...
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before you respool, check to see if the 120 roll will fit in the camera. Some 620's have enough room for the larger diameter 120 spools, the only problem may occur with the winder, which has a smaller drive tab that could slip in a 120 spool. Place the unopened roll in the camera, testing both locations for fit. The roll should not bind up if it fits. If its too tight, respool. Some folks have been able to modify the inside of cameras just enough to fit 120's in without any problem. I respool for a couple of 620's, a Brownie and a Duaflex II, they are a 'hoot ta shoot'.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Lots of helpful info. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just bought a roll of 620 Tmax $11 from B&H mostly for the spool and a 5 pack of Tmax 120 to re-spool for shooting in a Kodak Brownie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find that the 120 spool can be attacked with toe nail clippers to take the little 'ridge' off the side of the spool flanges to make it fit 620 cameras.

I have done this by feel in the dark with the film still on the spool, and then load it into the camera, also in the dark. Wind partially, then flick on the safelight to advance it to the arrows, then close the back, unless it is a ruby window one, where just close the back, and wind until you get to '1'.

I have also made the skinny 120 spool work in the 620 side of some cameras by squirting a quick spray of baking release oil (cover all areas you don't want it to hit) to let the glue release from the winding mechanism and lower spring holder.

I then gue tooth picks/wood slivers into the ends of the spool, fill the thing with hot glues, and then stick it into the camera take up holders while the gluie is still hot
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin