Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,674   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Explain this Photograph...

This image of Edinburgh was created by aerial photographer Alfred Buckham in 1920. Is anyone familiar with his works does anyone know how it was printed? did he retouch these himself? If any one here knows anything about his production info I'de love to hear about it. Im liking the the craftsmanship behind his work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E1920.jpg  
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Buckham website is pretty good http://www.alfredbuckham.co.uk/ it says his career was in the photographic section of the Royal Naval Air Service. I think he printed. There is also info and a collection at the National Galleries of Scotland. Amazing photographs, it seems he was pretty fascinated with clouds...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This photograph is awesome. I don't know how he did it but I wonder if it's done with masking and multiple exposures in the darkroom like Jerry Uelsmann?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    This photograph is awesome. I don't know how he did it but I wonder if it's done with masking and multiple exposures in the darkroom like Jerry Uelsmann?
    Thats exactly what im wondering! Ide love to know this techniques LOL
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Although I'm not a resident of Edinburgh, i think this has got to be a montage.

Arthur's Seat (if my memory serves me) is farther away and to the left of the Castle than this shot shows which may be why there's some "haze" around it from the dodging/burning?

Still, it's an awesome shot though, i'd love to have the visualisation to pull something like that together.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that's incredible! and before the days of photoshop, even more so. wowwwww, thanks for sharing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes this could be done in photoshop today. But I think doing it in an analog fashion involves a lot more thought and understanding of the materials one is working with. Doing digitally you're just working with something that is virtual. The difference between the two is craftsmanship. But both take imagination and execution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At first glance, it almost looks too perfect to be a photograph. I almost thought that it was a lith, plate print, or some kind of drawing or such. Great work, and I have to vote on the multiple exposure/print theory. Even though it is a photograph, it still seems too perfect to be from one singe frame. He def was a great printer.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    A big percentage of his photographs have another plane in the picture, must be a montage, two moving planes and everything is sharp???..EC

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Here is a quote from the National Gallery; "The R100 embarked on its maiden flight in 1929 but in 1930 it was deflated and removed from service following the crash of her sister ship, the R101, with the loss of forty-eight lives. Buckham painted the airship into the scene by hand".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PGP 197.19.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin