Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,686   Online: 806

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Considering my last experience trying to sell something here, a headache.
    Last edited by Colin Corneau; 07-21-2010 at 10:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: precision

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Oddly the stuff that I have that I enjoy using the most is worth the least, all of that is worth maybe $100 total and that includes support gear for it.
    My experience too. I don't have anything that's worth very much---a nice Rolleiflex, a 9x12 Bergheil in beautiful shape, a Contax IIIa kit, together worth a few thousand dollars, are the comparatively big-ticket items---but the main workhorses are scale-focussing MF folders and a Canon AE-1, worth next to nothing on the open market.

I wouldn't get rid of it, of course---apart from the enjoyment value, a lot of these cameras have family history. The Rolleiflex and Contax came from my dad, who seems to be gradually unloading his considerable pile of film gear onto me; the Bergheil was the snapshot camera(!) of my great-grandfather, who was a serious LF landscape guy but kept what he considered to be a small-format camera in the trunk of the car in case he came across something unexpected; the AE-1 belonged to my late father-in-law and has been documenting my wife's side of the family for something north of thirty years.

I've still got the Rolleicord that was my first "real" camera (before that I had a 110 camera when I was really little, but it's now lost to history, although my sister says she came across some of the prints recently to her considerable amusement). It's usable but needs a CLA; I'm thinking it's the camera I'll pass along to my son if he eventually takes an interest in having a good film camera of his own. We'll see what happens.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On further reflection the "Value" of my equipment is isn't what I can get for it, but what it does, It's a great thing to be happy with what you have, and I still have better equipment than I'm a photographer.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I think all of my equipment is worth about $2,000. But I have a very svelte collection, because I never believed gear would make me a better photographer, so I don't have a whole lot invested in it either.

- Thomas
    I think I'd be in the neighborhood of what you have, and I'm trying to follow the same philosophy, despite seeing plenty of gear that I'd love to get my hands on (and at reasonable prices, too).

Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    I am only allowed to have all the gear that I can fit into one camera case, and no more, my camera case is a footlocker size trunk with a few camera and film decals on it and has about 14 cameras in it. I was also informed that next time there will be stricter rules on the definition of "case".
    A surplus U-Haul truck can be a case if you really think about it.
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    On further reflection the "Value" of my equipment is isn't what I can get for it, but what it does, It's a great thing to be happy with what you have, and I still have better equipment than I'm a photographer.
    I'm with you on that, Ben.
    I get more value out of having and using the stuff than what it may fetch when i sell it all.

Consequently, i haven't the foggiest what it may all add up to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, I actually sold almost everything. My collection of photo gadgets is really bare bones minimum, and in my future I see even less, so it'll be worth even less.
    Hasselblad 500 with 80 and 150 lenses. Two backs. Light meter, tripod, a nice hood. Cable release.
    6x6 pinhole camera.
    Enlarger and darkroom stuff.
    Epson V700 scanner and R2400 printer.

That's it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    What would it be worth in dollars, I really don't know. If I sold everything (all 25 cameras of difference formats), I wouldn't have anything to enjoy the hobby I do now. There are not to many cameras I want or need, because the ones I still have still give me great photos. For the pass fifty plus years, I have tried all types of cameras. The ones I have ended up with are pretty much what I like shooting. So to put a dollar valve on them not very much (because it always depends on the current market), but as a personal valve, priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think some of the stuff I have would actually sell for more than I paid for it, because it was bought on Ebay when there were a lot more true bargains there.

I'm afraid that when I think of this my calculations inevitably end up not in $, but in stuff (if I sell camera body X, I could buy lens Y).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This question is just me being curious...not saying that I am considering it, or that it really matters. Just a discussion opener.

As for me, these are probably the only things that are worth some money:

Sinar "reverse" (front P standard), DB shutter, and six DB and DBM lenses, in custom-built rolling wooden case - Maybe $2,000 if parted out, $1,200 to $1,500 if sold all together
    Two Linhof Technica IIIs (version four, with drop bed), in original three-lens kits, one with an amazing period-custom-made (from Craftsman tool box) storage case, which is better than the actual Linhof cases - Maybe $1,000 a piece, or more if the right collector saw them
    Rollei Wide Angle, as-new condition with case - KEH offered me over $2,000 cash, which probably means they'd sell it for twice as much
    c. 1850 Voigtländer im Wein Petzval clone, no flange or pinion - Maybe $400 to $600
    1954 Pacemaker Speed, only perhaps valuable because it is a nice cased kit in near-mint condition - Maybe $500, $600 or more, but only to the right person (a crazy collector looking for super-clean examples)
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 - Probably $700 to $800, though I haven't watched the used market for this lens

Everything else is relatively inexpensive medium format stuff (RZ, C33/C220, M645, Super 23) and 35mm stuff (Nikon/Canon '60s/'70s stuff, and an EOS 3).

My point was kind of that all of this lovely equipment is worth far, far, far, far more than its monetary value. We analog shooters are scoring big time compared to digital shooters.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-21-2010 at 05:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ... If you were to liquidate your entire collection of photography equipment, how much cash would you have in the end?...
    What a humbling question this is. I must be nuts! What was I thinking?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin