Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,107   Online: 849

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    What a humbling question this is. I must be nuts! What was I thinking?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you were to liquidate your entire collection of photography equipment, how much cash would you have in the end?
    Not enough to be worth the grief to do it! After all, I'd have to run right out and buy something after I got done. I do have some of my stuff recorded in a spread sheet with a semblance of replacement value and it totals up to more than $5K, which doesn't include the enlarger (a mere Omega B-8) and some early gear in my dusty closet -- how 'bout $1k for my "rare" one-owner Brownie Target Six-20?

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Just something I found myself thinking about this evening, and I am interested to hear other people's answers as well: If you were to liquidate your entire collection of photography equipment, how much cash would you have in the end?

I'll have to think about my answer later, as it will require some serious counting, and I have to go to sleep now...but I am guessing that everything I have is probably worth about 6 to 8 grand on the used market. Hey! If I sell it all, I can get a top-of-the line small format digital camera without a lens, and it will be considered unusable by art directors and stock agencies in three to five years!!! Sounds like a deal to me!!! (I guess I can get the cheapo 50mm lens and use a library computer...and prints? Well, who actually does prints anyhow?)
    I'm probably at the lower end of your range. I have to go through this exercise annually because I insure my cameras and have to itemize and value them. For me, I feel I have too much invested monetarily. I periodically feel guilty about it. Yet I use them all, at different times and for different purposes.

I've been thinking of selling a camera or two. But only, with regret, to buy my first digital camera. I think there's no question that we can more easily afford top-of-the-line film gear than digital.

More interesting, to me, is what I would never sell. I would never sell my main Hasselblad camera. For me, it's perfect. I would never sell my battered Nikon F3. It's like my 14-year-old Volvo station wagon, which is worth very little, but which I love to drive and will use happily until it falls apart. I would probably always keep one rangefinder with one lens, as that's the camera I use the most.

Complicating matters for me is that I have children who like photography, which is an incentive to keep a few extra cameras around. For example, I have a backup 500 c/m body that I rarely use, but I am keeping it for my son, who I suspect will want to try it soon.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sadly, something over $10k, the larger part of that investment in Leica gear. I say "sadly", due to the lack of consistent attention I give this hobby. I get into it very intensely, then out of it. Every time I get back in, I buy a little more gear (mostly used), and I almost never sell anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Complicating matters for me is that I have children who like photography, which is an incentive to keep a few extra cameras around. For example, I have a backup 500 c/m body that I rarely use, but I am keeping it for my son, who I suspect will want to try it soon.

-Laura
    If we cannot convince the born-and-bred digital folks or converts from analog to shoot film (which we obviously cannot), I guess we are stuck with breeding our own!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    probably about $1-$1.5K in total including darkroom gear stored awaiting space in 'the next place'. Offset this with the counselling required to overcome the cheesy grin my partner would have for weeks and the extra disposable income needed to uptake an interest in football, channel subscriptions, team kit etc. I'd reckon I't would be closer to minus $10K.
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What this is getting at is: Why would we EVER sell our film equipment? There appears to be no good reason.
    2F/2F

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Not enough to be worth the grief to do it! After all, I'd have to run right out and buy something after I got done. I do have some of my stuff recorded in a spread sheet with a semblance of replacement value and it totals up to more than $5K, which doesn't include the enlarger (a mere Omega B-8) and some early gear in my dusty closet -- how 'bout $1k for my "rare" one-owner Brownie Target Six-20?
    You know you have too much as soon as the insurance company refuses to insure your gear.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    geez...this is a tough but very interesting topic. I'm not sure I even have a complete written inventory let alone current market value for all the gear I have accumulated. I have just done a very rough, "back-of-the-envelope" reckoning and come up with around $8000 in cameras and optics. I have a pretty good store of darkroom equipment layed up too but, considering that I have had to practically give away darkroom stuff lately, I haven't counted any of it in the total.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It could go like this: Some guy says to another out in the future: "I got this stuff in a box at a garage sale, who knows if it works but I can make a lamp out of the camera looking thing and the lenses will look great lining he walkway out back of the house." "The rest I have to put in the garbage."
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin