Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,010   Online: 774

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't able to shoot with mine at all, just didn't make the time.

On the positive side, I'm all set for next year. I got myself both the telephoto lens and the wide angle lens for my C3. Yes, I know, more crap that I don't need...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    ... I'm all set for next year. I got myself both the telephoto lens and the wide angle lens for my C3. Yes, I know, more crap that I don't need...
    Way cool! I must admit by the time I had the disposable income to add the extra lenses, the C3 was on a shelf in the closet, but it is an interesting idea. I did purchase a third party idler gear assembly that was spring loaded so you could remove the lens without unscrewing that shallow mushroom topped screw to remove the idler gear. But that was to support getting the lens off to use it on a homemade enlarger. "Ah, those were the days."

At long last, some, if not all, of the days "official" results are up on the Argus Flickr site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why is it on Argust 10th? Why not the 3rd? I don't see the importance of ten days into the month, but I can C-3.
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-31-2010 at 11:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Why is it on Argust 10th? Why not the 3rd? I don't see the importance of ten days into the month, but I can C-3.
    Ah! It's the day of the month corresponding to the year. The first one was Argust 1st, 2001, this one was Argust 10th, 2010, and next year it will be Argust 11th. I've no idea what happens after Argust 31st, but given the age of many of the participants (including me!) it may not matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you mentioned it...

I cannot remove that mushroom cap. It extends into a groove in the lens and will unscrew only so far before it wedges itself tightly against the upper wall of the groove. Is there a way around this?
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try making sure that the lens is focused all the way out to it's nearest focus, that should extend the space in the lens so you can screw the cap off. It works that way on all of my C3's.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been doing that (without realizing the reason) per the instructions. The cap just doesn't want to pass the lens obstruction.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just the other day I noticed the instructions described that bit about moving the lens to the 3 foot mark and I was wondering why. But given that I put the spring thingy on mine circa 1959, I guess I don't remember too much about the original process!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the Argus Flickr link. The submissions were great, but I'm a bit surprised only 29 photos. I'm not a flickr member so I can't push this over 30.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Focus No. 9 View Post
    Thanks for the Argus Flickr link. The submissions were great, but I'm a bit surprised only 29 photos. I'm not a flickr member so I can't push this over 30.
    Two comments. One, you don't have to be a Flickr member, somewhere in that "Argust 10th?" thread on the Flickr Argus discussion group there is a post about:
    Please email your photos to wesley@megley.com and I'll get them posted as soon as I can.
    It is supposed to be limited to two photos (or was in the past), although I see one person has three(?) and in previous years there was a size restriction. I guess the size is less problematic now, but anything over about 800 pixels is probably a waste of effort anyhow. You can send a description in the email of what the shots are about and what camera you used to take them and that will appear with the shots when they finally show up.

And the second comment: The process is obviously not automated, the guy doing it is apparently an Argus Collectors Group person who got pushed into taking over the "managing" of the stuff last year when the original dude sort of disappeared. He seems nice and does a good job but apparently is busy as hell and often takes a long time to get stuff up (or maybe Flickr is more complex than I imagined). That is, as we e-speak, there may be more waiting in the wings.

There was also some question about possibly exceeding the maximum for a free Flickr account (which might push the oldest shots off into cyber oblivion). Several of us have volunteered to chip in for a paid account which would resolve that, but that hasn't happened yet.

Some vague historical data:
    Back in 2006 when I first encountered the Argust Day festivities, there was an announcement posted here and elsewhere. The stuff was originally hosted on someone's business server, and later (early 2008, I think) he began moving it to Flickr. So far the 2001 stuff was lost long ago in a server crash, the transfer to Flickr died after 2005 was migrated, and the guy doing it evaporated. It's been suggested that those of us who have copies of our submissions from back when send them in and an attempt will be made to reconstruct those years. I sent mine for 2006 and 2007 last week, in hopes that would be a seed for the missing years, but if it's all there by Christmas, I'll be surprised.

I think the concept is a neat idea, but compared with something like Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day, it hasn't quite reached critical mass.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin