Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,306   Online: 1096

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Purchased 4 antique printing frames, seeking info

Hi all,

I purchased these printing frames off an NZ auction site for around $18US dollars

They look pretty darn old and I thought I might hang them on the wall in my darkroom. Can anyone give me the date of these frames? I've attached an image of them. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pre 1950 is as close as I can go. But why hang them on the wall, they were made to be used.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Printing Frames

Divided spring-loaded frames depicted in your thumbnail probably date 1928-1940. Before 1928, printing-out frames were adapted for darkroom use, after 1939, England was at war and photographic supplies were difficult to obtain throughout the Commonwealth. Look at the glass from the side. If it is green, it means nothing (replacement window glass), but if it is white (colorless) without striations or air bubbles, then it may be Waterford and probably original (unlikely) in which case, I would peg the date circa 1935. They are well used, do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi all,

I purchased these printing frames off an NZ auction site for around $18US dollars

They look pretty darn old and I thought I might hang them on the wall in my darkroom. Can anyone give me the date of these frames? I've attached an image of them. Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Those print frames are very popular in the US at antique fairs. Sometimes they sell for USD$20 and more depending on size. I've not been able to tell if condition changes value as some real ratty have commanded as much as good looking ones. They are being used as picture frames. You got a good deal.
    Bill

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have several. Common from 1890's to the 1960's. I use my 8X20 one to make 8X20 and 7X17 prints. And I still use the 11X14 one for it's intended purpose. I buy the stained battered 5X7 ones when I can get several for little $ and frame my 4X5 Pt / Pd prints in them for gifts mostly. They'll stand up on a mantel or shelf by themselves.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have several too, ranging from 6.5x9cm to 8x10". They are quite useful for any kind of contact print. I evn use the small one for contacts all the way down to 6x4.5! Such a small contact print can sonetimes be very beautiful - I have a few very nice cyanotypes of this size.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin