Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,929   Online: 940

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I didn't assert non-existence, I asserted low probability that it is correct. There's a difference between the two.
    Which is my point.
    Probability, whether high or low, says something about our expectations. Not about the thing we have those expectations about.

It would be fun to see a series of test images made using this lens, in all configurations.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dirk, your images seem to show no diaphragm. Is there one?

FWIW, Dirk, I have an ex-USAF 36"/8 B&L telephoto doorstop whose cells are held together by a sort of clamp. No shutter, no diaphragm, and the cell spacing might but need not be correct. Anyway, my lens is clearly incomplete, makes me wonder whether your monstrosity is complete and its cell spacing correct.
    Dan
    No, no diaphragm and the mechanism doesn't allow for one either it seems.
    The lens mount (which is cast!) has threads into which the two units screw into....the lens spacing as shown in the diagram is correct as far as right and left units are concerned. Spacing of the two main units to each other is correct within 1/4 inch. I am not sure how the whole assembly was mounted, and whether it was encased, and how. The retaining rings at the ends of the lens are well made and there is nothing missing there.

Given that the serial number was CAST with the lens mount, there must be quite a few of them. The recurrent serial is 1095-18xx, with the individual pieces then labelled with scratched in numbers.
    Last edited by ausphoto; 09-24-2010 at 05:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    It would be fun to see a series of test images made using this lens, in all configurations.
    YEs it would, but that would require to make a camera just for it.. When I have the time, hopefully this weekend, I'll mount the lens on a tripod and then photograph the image on the lens in both configurations. And if I get bitten by the bug, I might just make a lens cone out of cardboard and a simple frosted screen...just to work out which area the lens might cover.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ausphoto View Post
    Dan
    No, no diaphragm and the mechanism doesn't allow for one either it seems.
    The lens mount (which is cast!) has threads into which the two units screw into....the lens spacing as shown in the diagram is correct as far as right and left units are concerned. Spacing of the two main units to each other is correct within 1/4 inch. I am not sure how the whole assembly was mounted, and whether it was encased, and how. The retaining rings at the ends of the lens are well made and there is nothing missing there.

Given that the serial number was CAST with the lens mount, there must be quite a few of them. The recurrent serial is 1095-18xx, with the individual pieces then labelled with scratched in numbers.
    Thanks for the additional detail. Aerial camera lenses were made with fixed apertures. I have a 3"/4.5 Biogon type that has a shutter but no diaphragm. And some were made with cast barrels.

I'm not sure how to tell how many examples of a lens were made. The s/n smells like an Elcan one. These have the form tttt-nnnn, where tttt is the lens' type and nnnn is the individual lens' sequence number. There's no type 1095 in my Elcan C-series reconnaissance lenses catalog, but this proves nothing.

I'd been doubting that its an aerial camera lens because it seems to have come apart easily. The ones I've had (1 Ross, 1 S.F.O.M., 1 LOMO, 3 Elcan, 3 TTH, 20 Zeiss) were all made to be hard to disassemble. This to resist vibration. But again, if yours came apart easily that proves nothing.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now, here http://cgi.ebay.de/Objektiv-Leitz-We...item4152f5129c is a gross monstrosity of a projection lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which i still would bet Dirk's lens is: a projection lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The epi(dia)scope option is certainly something to be followed up. I have trouble finding lens sections of the lenses, though. It clearly isn't a Leitz...

The problem is that the lens mount of the unit I have in hand does not have a focusing helicoid, which is required to focus the projected image (as a student in the 1970s I used these monster devices to project pages from books for discussion in tutorial presentations). It looks more like a fixed focus unit.
    And all cinema projection lenses (which would have a fixed projector to screen distance once installed) I can find are smaller..

Also, all projection lenses I have seen, although exposed to the heat of the lamps, don't have these weird holes...

I have been toying with the idea whether it could be an 'eye-piece' of a very large telescope, but all the cross-sections i can find there are also different...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To add some more food for thought, see the lens with the "holey" mount in this thread:
    http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,46171.html
    scroll down...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Absence of a focusing helicoid is consistent with a naked (out of its cone) aerial camera lens. I've seen two ways of collimating aerial camera lenses to the camera.

The lens screws into a mount called, by convention, a lens cone, is screwed in or out to collimate and is then locked in place; examples that I've seen include Vinten F-95; AGI F134, F139, and Agiflite; and Omera 31. The cone is bolted to the camera body or bayonets into it.

The lens (in shutter) is bolted to the camera main casting, shims between body and back of shutter adjust flange to film; this is how the 38 Biogons in the AGI F135 were collimated to the camera.

Thanks for the link. Some time ago I wrote an essay in which I characterized most aerial camera lenses as poisoned gifts. I think that fits the 7"/2.5 Aero Ektar adapted to M42 mount shown in the link.

Anyway, I agree with the person who responded that the holey lens shown in that thread is part of a condensor. It has the look, and I'd swear I've seen similar things offered as condensor lenses. Your monstrosity doesn't. Could be mistaken, though, about the lens in the link. I don't believe that condensor lenses are often as elaborate as the monstrosity.

Why do you think that Leitz bought in lenses for their Epidiascopes?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Why do you think that Leitz bought in lenses for their Epidiascopes?
    Dan, I didn't. What I meant to say is that mine is clearly not a Leitz...

Need to see other epidiascopes (sections or originals) and look at their lenses. But most of the old units seem to have been thrown out by the universities and schools...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin