Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,447   Online: 964

Shooter
    35mm

Vintage Portrait

I was excavating one of the bureau drawers today and came across this portrait. I had not seen it in years and it surprised me with its strength. So I thought I would share. The actual print is warm but not as warm as the reproduction here. I think it was the incandescent source that made it jump that way.

Also, I discovered that I have a lot of vintage prints. Does anyone else have a lot of prints, and if so, are you displaying them or are you just hoarding them in drawers?

Best,
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF6161.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amazing find. Jennie's a beaut.

I'd say scan and share.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very Nice !
    An amazingly beautiful human being.

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm
    Suddenly I wonder if it is Jennie of 867-5309 fame!

J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that is an excellent find. One of my hobbies is collecting original examples. I recently acquired a J. E. Purdy (Boston) portrait of Dorothy Stanley Emmons. She was daughter of Chansonetta Stanley Emmons, who herself was an accomplished photographer. They were from the Stanley dry plate / Stanley Steamer family.

I believe Purdy's was a studio with multiple locations throughout the Boston area. There is an early article on Purdy @ goole books (starting pg. 128). Hopefully you can access it . . .

http://books.google.com/books?id=9SU...studio&f=false

As far as displaying . . . some photographs adorn the walls, while others are kept safe.

I have a few vintage family prints that I keep in an acid-free box. I take them out and look at them from time-to-time. Some go back to the turn of the 20th Century and are in fragile condition, so they don't go on display.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have tons of old portraits jon ...
    photo-scrap books i bought at junque stores
    dags,
    loose prints ..
    even collection of high school senior portrait
    from the class of 192x ...
    kids looked so old then !

none are on display though i do look at them
    often for old school lighting inspiration ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got a collection of antique and vintage images which I keep at my parents' house for the most part, as I'm already short on display and storage space at mine. They're wonderful to have around, and if/when I ever move to a larger house I'm going to set up a display for the cased images.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin