Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,932   Online: 1178

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Images
    Diana
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kids don't appreciate toys, particularly vintage toys. The lure of the super cheap plastic camera is how the camera body itself can greatly affect the final image, and the rebelion against notions of perfection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Dianna by any other namePanax

Hi I P.U. 2 panax (same by what I can tell as Diana) for the incedible amount of
    .25 US Dlls at the thrift shop one is what I call basic the other has a hot shoe of sorts (the 2 prongs) and 3 shuther speeds and 3 fstops the other is plain and simple much like the holga
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmattfish
    Kids don't appreciate toys, particularly vintage toys. The lure of the super cheap plastic camera is how the camera body itself can greatly affect the final image, and the rebelion against notions of perfection.
    Or an excuse for a really crappy image. SOmetimes the lines are very obscure.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

diana rules ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone
    After shooting several rolls with it I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the Holga. To me a Holga is the definition of toy camera photography (heavy vignetting, light leaks, soft focus...). The Diana is a very clean image in comparison to the Holga (perfect squares, not much vignetting, no light leaks). I'm just a little confused as to why Dianas are being cherished, but Holgas aren't... yet. -Grant

hi Voidoid

I LOVE the dianas - and I'd never "settle" for a Holga...

here is why: a question pops up in my head: was it the "deLuxe" version you got? (they are too "good")

I once saw an add for Holga. It said: "HOLGA : the son of Diana.." and so it is.

when I am using my Di I don't go for the heavy vignetting as you put it. it is easy to get that in any camera. so it is not the vignetting BUT the distortion that the Di gives - something simply unique in the camera world.
    try to take pictures of a person with some trees in the background.
    the more space there is from this person to the trees - the more it distorts.
    It is like some one sits and pulls the negative in the corners..

Some Di's leaks light - some don't.
    the "perfect" square I can't understand (unless it is the DeLuxe)

there should be focus on the fact that 120 film look different in the plastic reel that holds it. Some has a "X" shaped hole - some an "I" shaped.
    It seems like the plastic knob, that holds the film in place has some difficulties holding the X shaped ones, and therefore winds up the film quite loose. If you want lightleaks then you should use theese..... and maybe shake the camera once in a while, while the film is in it...

you say that your Di only have one aperture and one speed setting..
    you can get the Diana F (with "flash") that gives you three apertures - one speed + "B" function.. (go for that)

by the way: did you know that you can use Rolleinar close-up lenses and they fit perfectly on the Di lens.. for close up's? that's fun....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't say my Diana only had one aperture and one shutter speed, I was referring to my Holga. My Diana has the 3 apertures, etc. I don't have a DeLuxe, mine only says "Diana" on the lens. Since I've made this post I have been shooting a lot more with my Diana and have sort of "figured it out." I now choose between my Holga and Diana depending on the circumstances (I generally use the holga for darker situations since it has a hot-shoe, I like to carry my Diana for street stuff because it's a little smaller). I'll have to keep an eye out for a Diana F, I would like to try shooting at night with a flash with a Diana. Thanks.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I found a box of these things packed way in the back of a closet that had not been opened since 1978. This turned out to be the school's darkroom. They all seem to be in fair shape but when I used them with my students they were highly unimpressed as was I. If I leave the school they will most likely go into the bin. I just don't know what to do with them. We have "digital" cameras (said with reverance around public schools these days) so no one wants to even think about using manual stuff."

MARK!!! YOU ARE SITTING ON A GOLD MINE! Seriously... I have dreamed of the day i discover a whole box of Dianas.

As for what to do with them when they no longer get the love they deserve? Have a contest at Apug and give them away as prizes? or... sell em on ebay?

I love Dianas...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisa Taylor
    MARK!!! YOU ARE SITTING ON A GOLD MINE! Seriously... I have dreamed of the day i discover a whole box of Dianas.

I love Dianas...
    Oh crap yah! A whole boxful! I've been using Holga since...well, a long time. I'm showing my age but first ones I bought, I bought at Zone VI. Remember those guys? I got it cause I couldn't find a Diana anywhere. I got so used to placing the image where I want it with a Holga. I finally have a Diana (and 2 clones) and I find it hard to compose. I guess I need an entire year to play around with it.

My newest project with the Holga is playing around with close up lenses ductape to the front. I take my $200 Acute Matte, and put it in the back to check the focus before putting film in. I have a couple of rolls not yet processed with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin