Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,180   Online: 700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Ctein's experience with Guernsey's Auction House

How to make a Small Fortune in photography...

It's a tragedy. Just want to warn folks here in advance, and hopefully bump up the article's search rating to boot, so more folks get the message.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting read from Ctein, thanks for posting. I appreciate his outwardness and sharing some of the "inner-dealings" of the art photography world.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This does sound bad, but remember we're hearing just one side of this story, and it never ceases to amaze me how things can change when the other side comes out.

I'm not saying I don't believe the story, but that the story is incomplete, and this auction company is being publicly flogged (not here) based on only half the story. I'm not comfortable with attacking someone's livelihood based on a one-sided internet report.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good point. The outwardnes is interesting, but it does make you wonder about the other side. Everybody usually thinks they're right; that's human nature afterall.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, that was a very interesting read. Thanks for posting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ummm, with dead silence from the other end, that is a message in itself! Don't you agree?

Just rhetorical, as we will probably never hear the other side, but I do know Ctein and he is an up front, honest person in his dealings, so the article appears quite valid to me.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ummm, with dead silence from the other end, that is a message in itself! Don't you agree?

PE
    No, I don't get a message from silence, other than the possibility that they've lawyered-up and have been told to keep quiet while the lawyers make some calls to straighten it out. Who knows?

Like I said earlier this story sounds bad, but attacking someones business based on a one sided story that "sounds bad" (especially when I don't have a dog in the fight) doesn't feel right to me. It would sure suck to find out only after pushing a lot of harmful press that the auction house wasn't as culpable as I thought.

Just $0.02.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff;

I can agree with your POV, however the correct response in that case would be "we have contacted our attorney and he will be in touch with you". That is a more reasoned reaction if what you say is true.

And, that response is usually given under advice of attorney.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    True. I think they should say something too.

I think they're probably dunderheads that can't handle a print. Probably. :-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    i read that last night scott -
    seems like a nightmare ..

and i can see how it could be true
    the gallery world is not doing well
    it makes sense the auction houses are having trouble too ..

sorry to hear ctien lost those images, a lot of them were irreplaceable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin