Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,673   Online: 1200

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help with vintage floral detail frame (negatives for printing portraits?)

I just bought these printed portrait frames, which consist of a glass back with a paper print stuck to the front.
    They appear to be negatives as the printer's name - "C.E & C Reg" is reversed in the corner of each.
    Does anyone recognise or know how these were originally used?
    I'm thinking putting one in a frame and doing a contact print, then exposing a photo in the oval or rectangular space.
    I haven't done a contact print from paper to paper before but I guess that should work out ok.

Actually, just came across this:
    http://www.stamps-auction.com/merry-...for-sale-83656
    which is what I'm expecting the final result to be, so I guess I'm on the right track!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been watching this because I thought these were pretty cool old frames. Are they opaque though?

The example is exactly what I imagined these would be used for. Any reusults?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just did some test contact prints today and they look pretty good. I'm going to make up some masks so I can print portraits into the centre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool! Post some pics if it's easy for you
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are very cool. Where did you find them? Are there more?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wonderful find!
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I have a newish scanner that won't talk to my old USB port so I'm stuck for a while..
    I have to do things the old-fashioned way for now (including real-life photo-shopping!), but that's ok because I'm having fun in the darkroom.
    I can't post 'em unless it's snail-mail

Actually, the more I look at them, I realise what a good find they are and that I should preserve them.
    I'm pretty sure they're circa 1900, as some of them are distinctly art nouveau style and the only other card I've seen lately (from the link above) featured a woman in Victorian dress.
    Most of the other "Real photo postcards" don't have this kind of decorative framing.
    I see lots of people collect the old postcards, but luckily I've got the photographer's negs that were used to create them!
    Last edited by Sethasaurus; 02-22-2011 at 09:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

This really is a great find. If there are any chips and nicks in the emulsion, use some photo opaque to touch them up. You will be able to do some very cool things with these and a vignette mask of some kind.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm
    How would you go about creating something like that for use? Just enlarge onto a piece of lith film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sage,
    They're just paper negs, 3.5 x 5.5 in - postcard size. I guess they've been printed on a press.
    WIll post some scans as soon as I get my scanner working.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin