Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,773   Online: 826

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would not worry until you prove it is a problem. The paper backing on roll film is certainly opaque enough to stop light, otherwise you could not load the roll in daylight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ran a light leak test on my Perkeo II last fall and among other things, left the red window cover open and facing direct afternoon sun. After a fifteen minute exposure of a blank frame on Tmax 400, I could find no evidence of any effects. I have heard that with some cameras, it is possible for light to bounce around between the back and the pressure plate inside the camera and get to the front of the film, but in my single test, I saw no problem. Of course, 15 minutes is not eight hours at the beach, I suppose some sort of flap isn't a bad idea.

If you could find a thin, slightly springy opaque material, you could tape a movable flap over the window. Orient it so in normal camera position, the taped side is up, then just lift the other edge to check the window.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone! I kept checking my "Notifications", which stated that there was nothing in my Inbox, until I had the bright idea of actually checking my original post - when I found the replies! Just shows the extent of my ignorance regarding how Forums work... Please accept my apology for not having responded sooner.

The camera arrived in today's mail, and it's a beauty, in superb condition, apart from fungus in the lens, which is otherwise near-pristine. At some stage, I'll have it serviced. It has the remains of tape adhesive around the red windows, so some previous owner has given Bob-D659's suggestion a try.

I'll give it a go with some 400, to check whether I'll need to use the tape method (fridge magnet won't work, since the body is of aluminium alloy) since I'd prefer not to risk damage to the leather.

It's a very compact camera, virtually identical in size when closed to my 1950 35mm Zeiss Contessa, but noticeably lighter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't worry to much about fungus in the lens unless it is excessive. I have several lenses that I was able to pick up cheap because of fungus but they still take great pics. I have been known to expose some of the lenses to UV light for a period of time to kill off fungus.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, guitstik. The fungus is relatively light. Do you mean that you've exposed the lenses to bright sunlight, or does it work with ordinary daylight? I'm reluctant to expose the camera (which has a non-detachable Zeiss f3.5 Tessar) to sunlight for any length of time, in case it damages the morocco leather covering.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do have a tip for you that I didn't see posted, make sure that the backer plate that holds the film against the slides on the bellows is doing it's job and is still springy, in cameras of that vintage they were sometimes made of Brass and can take a set over time, you may need to just give them a little tug to be sure they are holding the film correctly. That was the biggest ruby window light leak problem I had until I figured it out.

I use the electrical tape window cover as well, I do about 1 and a half turns of the winding key and then look to get the number into place, I also shade the window with my body as well. No problems any more.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is probably the key to the issue.

I use a Gaoersi 6x17 and that has a clear window, very much larger & no red filter and I get no problems even when I've forgotten & left the cover open and I'm shooting in very bright sunlight, meters virtually at it's highest.

My two pre-WWII Rollex roll film backs have a felt shield that acts as a baffle to prevent light spread sideways from the frame counter widows.

I've just looked closely at my Ikonta 521, that has felt seals as well, they were OK but the pressure plate was a bit weaker than my other cameras.

My experience with velvet/felt seals on older LF cameras is it just flattens over time & use and can become quite ineffective. On roll film cameras these felt/velvet seals are designed to stop light passing underneath the pressure plate which has holes in it coinciding with the counter windows.

So I'd suggest look closely at these as well as the pressure plate.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    I do have a tip for you that I didn't see posted, make sure that the backer plate that holds the film against the slides on the bellows is doing it's job and is still springy, in cameras of that vintage they were sometimes made of Brass and can take a set over time, you may need to just give them a little tug to be sure they are holding the film correctly. That was the biggest ruby window light leak problem I had until I figured it out.

I use the electrical tape window cover as well, I do about 1 and a half turns of the winding key and then look to get the number into place, I also shade the window with my body as well. No problems any more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the refrigerator magnet idea!

I had just taped a piece of black cardboard over the window of my spiffy new Agfa/Ansco B2 cadet that I just cleaned up

adding a magnet to the cardboard was the perfect touch!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I guess I brought myself bad luck by commenting on this subject; I just got a roll of slide film back, taken with a 1930s Wirgin folder, and there are noticeable light leaks at the edge of some frames from the red windows!

I've used this same camera a zillion times in much brighter conditions without a problem, so I suspect I loaded it just a little off alignment or something like that. (The light looks like it bled around the edge of the backing paper rather than "burning" through it.) I need to eat my words about *never* having had a problem, though.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nathan, check my comments about the felt seals below the pressure plate.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin