Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,221   Online: 856

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Light leaks from red windows in 1930s cameras

Hi, I'm new to APUG, so I'm not sure whether this is the correct forum for my query, but here goes: I've just bought a 1930s Zeiss Ikon Ikonta A for 120 roll film, and I'm concerned that the red number windows, which have no shutters on this model, may cause problems with panchromatic film. Are there any makes of 120 panchromatic roll film with sufficiently opaque backing paper to avoid this problem? I don't want to modify the camera. Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Black electricians tape makes a very good temporary shutter for the red window.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But then how would you know that you have advanced the film far enough, to the next frame?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    peel it back and re-stick it, simple.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Painters tape will probably do the job as well, and is easily peeled and replaced.

But I would first try the camera with an ISO 400 film to see if you need to worry. Use it on a sunny day, and make a point of letting some sun hit the window for a moderate period of time.

The backing paper on the Kodak films I use is quite opaque.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a window leak on an old Yashica A TLR but I had my back to the sun a good bit and wasn't aware of the issue back then.

Matt's suggestion about testing with some 400 speed sounds like a good one. I'm sure the ruby-lith can fade so it's probably a good idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't worry too much about it---when I've accidentally left the red window open on my folders, I've never had a problem. I think backing paper is plenty opaque enough unless you're subjecting the window to very bright light.

But if in doubt, it certainly can't hurt to tape a "shutter" over the window. I'd use a piece of cardboard under the electrical tape, just to avoid getting sticky goo on the window itself.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a steel back on the camera, a fridge magnet might work as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I use a lot of folders, from 1938 to the 50's, and often leave the ruby window un shuttered with 400 film and have yet to have a light leak,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have taped a layer of rubylith inside a 1914 era box camera where the red window plastic's red dye had faded.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin