Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,492   Online: 959

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My Rolleiflex is one of______???

Hi,

I was looking at antique cameras dot net (http://antiquecameras.net/rolleiflex.html), and determined that my Rollei is a 3.5F version 2, with the 220 option and a built-in meter. The site says that about 11,500 version 2's were made. I am wondering how many of these had the 220 option and a meter. I am not a collector, and the camera is in user condition. I am just curious. I have a Rollei Wide Type 1 as well (meterless), and the same site says that it is one of about 3,500 Type 1's. This one is in collector condition (i.e. as mint as I have ever seen an old camera). I was just thinking when I saw the 11,500 number, and thought about the fact that mine takes 220 and has a meter, that these cameras may actually be pretty close to each other in terms of how many were made.

Thanks.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think a lot of Rollei lore is speculation. There are differing opinions on about everything. In my reading I read that 220 was a European vs American standard. I just can't remember which. One side of the ocean or other had to have the switch installed or special ordered.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am just curious how many, not in any of the "lore" behind the camera.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    How many is part of the lore isn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not at all. It is not a collectible camera, and with mass produced items in the modern world, production numbers are fairly concrete, in the grand scheme of things. It is just a curious question that has nothing to do with "lore." I use the camera, and I am just curious, the same way one might be curious whether their old Ford was made in Dearborn or Metuchen. (FWIW, mine was made in Metuchen in April of 1965, one of the earliest fastbacks to come out of that plant. And it was a very rare fastback with a six cylinder/4-speed standard trans combination...but certainly not valuable. The four speeds trans for six cyl. engines was designed for the European market. Nearly every standard trans six cyl. had a three speed. Knowing this didn't change anything, but it was really nice to know! The same applies for cameras. Trivia is fun to know when it comes to old stuff.)
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-20-2011 at 01:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You will never find accurate numbers of how many have the 12/24 because it was an option that you could order or not and Rollei made them according to demand. there is also the fact that lots of people had the switch added on later. I have a 2.8F with the switch because I sent it to Harry Fleenor and had him install it. You wouldn't know the difference between factory installed or service man installed.
    Re lore, Maybe we just aren't on the same page as to definition of the word. I was using it to merely mean knowledge of Rollei past. Which would include production numbers. I didn't look the word up and didn't think it would cause a reaction or discussion. Perhaps I didn't use it correctly.
    Dennis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin