Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,881   Posts: 1,520,510   Online: 838

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help date this Nettar

I have got a Zeiss Ikon folder in absoute mint condition (stunning, like new) and i am trying to find out its age. The model is Nettar 515/16, it has a Nettar-Anastigmat 1:6,3 F=7,5cm lens in a ACG Telma shutter with shutterspeeds from 1/25 to 1/125 plus T and B. There is also a serial number, K 318 on the side of the back that do not lead me anywhere.

The model and the lens/shutter combination seem to be a bit conflicting, the lens/shutter suggest it is quite a bit older than what i have found about the model.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The letter K on the back means this folding was made in 1939.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Andy, i suspected it was pre-war. Do you have a link to your info about the Zeiss serial numbers?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmm.. done a bit more searching. I cannot find that the letter preceding the serial number corresponds to a year, if there are some system it is more complicated than that since i have found many cameras on auction-sites with the same letter but different year. I feel that i am back where i started, dating the camera to either just before the war or just after assembled from pre-war parts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have not links, but a french book, with many serial numbers (or letters) : "Les chiffres clés", by Patrice-Hervé Pont.
    With Zeiss Ikon, the letter corresponds to a year (or, sometimes, to two or three years); this system was first used by Ica (then Ica became a part of Zeiss Ikon , in 1926).

Shooter
    35mm
    "or, sometimes, to two or three years"..

That explains my findings. Yes i have come to know that this obscure(?) system was first used by ICA that later became part of Zeiss Ikon (the net is full of a wikipedia quote about it but no one explains the system or links to info about it). So even if it can differ on a couple of years, it looks to be a pre-war camera. From all my browsing around i feel it is around 1937 to 1940. Yet another sign of pre-war is that the Nettar lens is not coated. I will come back with some pictures of the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is a picture of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4000.jpg   img_3994.jpg   img_4001.jpg   img_4002.jpg   img_4003.jpg  

img_4005.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    It is actually quite decent for a 70 year old stopped down to f11. A picture from my first test roll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nettar_test.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow!!!
    As you said, it's like new ! It looks like never open before.
    And it makes nice pictures.

I have a Nettar 515/2 (6X9) with that sort of viewfinder; it's also a pre-war (letter G : 1938).
    Last edited by Andy38; 04-22-2011 at 09:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree with the date. It's definitely prewar because of the use of the Telma shutter. It's not one of the earliest models, because of the shiny chrome pop-up viewfinder, the shutter release on the top deck and the sliding door over the frame window.

This is in excellent condition. I generally am skeptical of claims of "mint," but this one is as close to mint that I've seen. In any case, it's in excellent condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin