Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,335   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Collecting Kodachrome slides

I've always loved collecting Kodachrome slides, especially the 1940's/1950's ones. Unfortunately, eBay has made it so I rarely find them at garage sales anymore. Luckily I still find a gem once in a blue moon...and today I got a gem! I'm guessing this was from a 1948 version of the consumer electronics show. Anyway, hope you enjoy it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canon.jpg  
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is another from the same batch...anyone know what that camera is? The paper says Eastman Kodak. Fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eastman kodak.jpg  
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    woah thats super cool! you'll have to show me some of these when i come in this week!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The camera is a Steky, from Riken (Ricoh), a subminiature camera for 16mm (10mmX14mm format), made in Japan after WWII.
    It has a telephoto lens (interchangeable) on the picture.
    Last edited by Andy38; 05-22-2011 at 05:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A gem indeed, those are great!
    I was about to call the mystery camera a Tower, but I guess Andy has the definitive answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I need to find the camera to go with the slide! I have a Canon like the first pic...
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I probably have more Kodachrome slides then I'll ever be able to look at (and still keep my job). They were all shot by my dad, or another relitive, and cover most (if not all) of my life, and the family. When my Daughter was last in town for the Holidays, I broke out the old TDC projector, and we had a slide show trip to the past. It's amazing how vibrant the colors are after forty, fifty, even sixty plus years. I even have Kodachromes that my dad shot during WW2, and I have the camera that he shot them with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's great--I wish someone in my family had shot slides! It's odd...the oldest Kodachrome slides I have (1946/47/48) look the best of all of them. I just love looking at old slides!!!
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just for kicks...

here's another great one. I live not too far from where this was taken, but I live very far from when this was taken!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails n judah.jpg  
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a lot of old kodachromes from my grandad, he passed away a couple of years ago. He was a sailor for most of his life and an avid photographer. Born in sweden he did what a lot of working class kids did back in the day and jumped on a ship. I haven't checked them out yet, but will any weekend soon, there in another town. There are pictures from the caribbean (according to my father there is a lot of slides from cuba, before and after the revolution), the US, africa and the middle east, mostly from the 50's to the 70's. I still own and use the cameras he used (a yashica rangefinder and a chinon slr, the latter being the biggest and heaviest 35 mm slr I have handled!). The only scanner I have access to use is an Imacon, but I will see if I can get my hands on a flatbed for doing bulk scans of these slides, the Imacon beast takes a lot of time to operate and I would have to unmount all the slides, a process that could risk harming them and bringing more dust into the equation. I'm also thinking of 'telecining' directly from the projector screen with a dslr for making a basic selection though.

I think it could be a fun vacation project, but it's just that that there is soooo much slides. It's like crazy! It's tens of big boxes of slides. I'm thinking of starting a separate postume flickr account for the project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin