Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,687   Online: 1156

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anybody can become a camera, or vintage guitar etc. collector all you need is the money, but the money won't make you a photographer, any more than it will make you a musician.
    Ben

I don't collect cameras either. I have a couple of old 35mm rangefinders taking up space in my closet for sake of nostalgia, but I otherwise use all the cameras I own. I collect the images I make with them.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrules View Post
    You could be doing far worse things than collecting, but I feel they might be doing the photographers disservice as the prices increase due to all the collecting going on.
    Now you sound (sort of the opposite) like those airplane folks that think all P-51's should be grounded and in a museum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't aim to be a collector, but people find out you use film still, and give them to you. Or I find them at liquidation auctions for like $15-20 for a fine slr with a great clean prime lens, and am unable to say no.

I always check them out, shoot a few rolls, and then work on selling them as functional cameras at swap meets.

If they are flaky on the electronics side, or missing obvoius parts but otherwise the remaining bits look presentable, they get cataloged ( a use that I have for a digital p&s) and then tossed gently into a box in the garage attic. These become my working spare parts supplies. If they have not been called on for a few years, then these parts cameras get discarded.

Plastic point and shoot cameras with some adjustments might get kept, if the batteries are not missing or too expensive. Fixed focus el cheapo P&S cameras almost always get tossed. The found film in them is always a lot of fun to process and invariably I seem to get picture of other peoples cats and grandchildren.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Collector? Not intentionally, though it looks that way sometimes. Over the last six years I've purchased far more cameras than I need or can use, many of them in need of servicing. Often I decided I wanted a particular camera because folks here and elsewhere raved about it and I wanted to know what the shouting was about. I'm now in the process of weeding out that which gets little to no use.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ....collected or not, if you cant shoot with the camera, what's the point?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Anybody can become a camera, or vintage guitar etc. collector all you need is the money, but the money won't make you a photographer, any more than it will make you a musician.
    As far as being a photographer and a musician goes then, I have the advantage of having no money!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lot of my cameras were 'hand me downs'.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being a photographer IS being a collector: a collector of reality. Hey, here's a nugget I'd like to take home.

I utterly disagree with the author's "necessary disdain" for tools : "Photographer, on the other hand, regards the camera as but a means of art-making. For her, a certain disdain for one's tools, but a steadfast monogamous fidelity to the chosen few, is essential if she is to make serious art."

Stupid. Ever seen William Eggleston's camera safe? Know how many lenses and cameras hung around St. Ansel's place? Wonder if Leonardo did not have a favourite brush?

You can't have disdain for your tools if you're an artist. You may just not necessarily have the same rabid devotion as a professional collector, but your tools are your art, and some may even be totally flippant about them being smashed, but there's a reason why some people do watercolour instead of oil paint: because they love the materials.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not an "Artist", just a photographer, and I have no desire to fawn over a house full of photographic equipment that I never use.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-09-2011 at 02:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin