Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 824

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Collector vs Photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great article/blog entry. Although some of my cameras take better pictures than others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could be doing far worse things than collecting, but I feel they might be doing the photographers disservice as the prices increase due to all the collecting going on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I am a camera collector, I collect usable classic cameras, every camera I own, from a 1938 bessa 66 to a 1961 rolleicord Va2, from folders to rigaed body cameras, from rangefinder's to fixed lens folders both 35mm and 120 must be a working camera and able to earn it's keep, and my collection keeps growing,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrules View Post
    .. but I feel they might be doing the photographers disservice as the prices increase due to all the collecting going on.
    Collectors may have similar thoughts about those of us who insist on still using film cameras, thus driving up the costs of collecting.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I try not to buy cameras just to possess them. I really want cameras that I can load with film and use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a collector, I don't keep any equipment I don't use regularly.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a few cameras but I don't think I'd be considered a collector, but:

Better a camera to be collected than thrown in the garbage. A collector will keep his/her cameras safe and dry, perhaps maintained as well.
    A collectors interest in the cameras will keep the prices of used equipment high enough that they continue to have value and
    keep them from being thrown out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I try not to buy cameras just to possess them. I really want cameras that I can load with film and use.
    I have only once or twice bought a camera just to own a camera, and I soon sold them again, every classic camera I have in my collection is a camera that I have wanted to buy to put film in, for me a camera, whether it be 1 year old or 70 years old, they were made to be used, and should be bought to be used,and since I made the 2 mistakes early on in my collection I have stuck to that, I will not buy a camera just to look nice on a shelf, it has to earn it's keep, and must be a camera that I will enjoy using.
    Rochard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an old 1A Kodak Autographic Jr. that is only for display. Otherwise, I at least intend to regularly use the rest.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin