Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,467   Online: 1141

Shooter
    35mm

Antique Soldier Photo - Request for ID of Era

I have been staring at this vintage photo for quite a while but have not been able to determine its vintage. Ae there any military buffs here, who can shed some light on likely age, occupation, etc?

Thanks,
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF3956.JPG   DSCF3960.JPG   DSCF3961.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi jon

sometimes the guns crossing (as they do on the hat)
    signifies an artillery unit, the number signifies which one.
    and his sleeve insignia looks like maybe a first sargent

or ... maybe it is a first sargent in the american expedition force
    ( infantry ) that went to mexico in 1910?

not sure ...

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-18-2011 at 12:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey Jon,

I went here: http://www.history.army.mil/html/mus...ms/survey.html

The three bars and lozenge make him a 1st Sgt.
    The crossed gun tubes place him in the Artillery.
    That was the easy part. The dating was a litttle tough.

The closest matching cap I could find was issued in 1902. The closest matching uniform I could find was the Coast Artillery soldier on page 54 in the above pdf dated at 1908. There was a change in uniform regs in 1902 and the cap was replaced in 1912. According to the author:

"...there was considerable confusion as to who would wear what throughout the period and both quatermasters and unit commanders did not always follow the rules."

He goes on to say that only the Coast Artillery wore the older patterns until 1911. The only thing is that his cap insignia doesn't match the Coast Artillery insignia.

The number is either the Regiment or Company and if you can figure that out you'll know where he served. Maybe the Army museum could be of more help.

-Raul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jon, check with the Center for Military History they should be of help. They had an on-going project to catalog photographs of ALL soldiers, as it seems they think that every US soldier has been photographed since the Civil War. Without more research, and checking with my brother - he is well versed in identifying these images, I would place it mid-1890's to around 1905. Let us know if you find solid info, would be interesting to know.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm... really great responses. The print itself is from the early 20th century for sure. But, something about the tonality made me think it might be a copy of an earlier print. However, based on the responses here I am now leaning more towards the belief that it is an original image from the period. It is quite large by the way - maybe 13 by 16 inches or so. The mat is ghastly so I am in the process of rematting. Original oak frame is period wonderful. If I learn any more I will post again.

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The print is bronzing badly and this should be stopped before the image is totally destroyed. IDK how to fix it, but there are methods out there to fix it up or at least halt the deterioration.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi PE - thanks for the note. Is bronzing the effect in the shadow areas or is it the spotting?

Thanks,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The print is bronzing badly and this should be stopped before the image is totally destroyed. IDK how to fix it, but there are methods out there to fix it up or at least halt the deterioration.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is on the hat and above his left hand and at his left elbow. The light areas appear to be bronzing.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin