Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,477   Posts: 1,542,654   Online: 788

Shooter
    35mm RF

Image circle of a Bausch & Lomb-Zeiss Protar Series V, Jan,1891 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 lens

Hello,

I was asked what "the image Circle of the above lens is in MM's and since I am not a large format person I didn't have a clue as to how to answer this question. It's a beautiful little lens that looks almost new. I am curious as to what size camera this would have been used on and also where I could go to find out about value for these types of lenses.
    Thank You
    Regards,
    Joe O'Brien

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, it says it in the name of the lens what size it is meant for - it was made to cover at least whole plate (6.5 x 8.5 inches), so it should have a focal length with both elements combined of at least 180-210mm (maybe as long as 240mm, but not likely) and an image circle of at least 270 mm, probably closer to 300mm. The Protars are also convertibles, so individual cells will be longer in length and have different (larger) image circles than both elements combined. As to value, you can do an ebay search on closed listings to try and get a sense of value. There are also several forum members here and over on Large Format Info who can give you a good idea of value, but it would also help to have pictures of it to be sure.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin