Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,755   Online: 927

Shooter
    Medium Format

Creating Negative from Scan

I have a medium format black and white negative that I would like to scan, retouch, and output back to a negative (and capable of enlarging to 20" x 20"), is this possible?

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes...

Images
    Yes it is possible but Before you get flamed you might want to repost this into the Grey area sub forum of the Alternative Processes forum. Those folks are real helpful. Yes it is hard to find from the get go but we try to hide the ugly hybrid step child away from the visitors
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome
    What you need is very possible. You need an output to LVT for a print this size.
    The procedure is converting the image to a positive in photoshop and burning via LVT then developing the film as a negative, or leave the image as a negative and process the film as a positive - INTERPOSITIVE - a positive-negative.

There is no image quality loss in this procedure.

You can also burn the image via CRT which is a little less in quality than LVT but will produce only to 2-1/4 negs. I wouldn't recommend a CRT above this size.
    If you decide to save some money, as the LVT is not cheap [but well worth the cost] use a shop that has a good CRT unit. The best units are no longer made but there are many still in production. MGI and AGFA made the best units.

I dont agree that this post belongs in another area. Many great photo artists are retouching to fix imperfections in the image, not change the image. and sending said image back to traditional film to print the normal way.

regards
    dw
    www.dr5.com
    excellent advice -- I would scan @ 2-4k (PMT or Flextight) output to 4x5 on an LVT or lightJet 2080 (a solitaire 16 is also good LJ is the best--IMHO). Price should be between 75.00 - 125.00.

sorry for the flippant first post.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin