Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,879   Online: 974

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Curves Calculator by Mark Nelson

Have you used or seen this curves calculator?
    I scaned a neg that I want to print on gum and I was having trublue with densty , some one recomended Mark Nelson's Curve Calculator
    Need info on it
    Thanks
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure why they made such a vague suggestion. Mark Nelson's curve calculator is part of his PDN system for digital negatives so if you aren't using the entire system then it's not very helpful.

www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

here is my dout

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I'm not sure why they made such a vague suggestion. Mark Nelson's curve calculator is part of his PDN system for digital negatives so if you aren't using the entire system then it's not very helpful.

Un like a book at the store he's is a pdf (on line ) so I have little to go on
    are you using his system I read the article on camera arts and that is what i know about it It sounds good but for $75.00 I want to make sure Is something I can use , is not like I can ebay it
    Thanks
    Gustavo Castilla
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

here is my dout

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore

Un like a book at the store he's is a pdf (on line ) so I have little to go on
    are you using his system I read the article on camera arts and that is what i know about it It sounds good but for $75.00 I want to make sure Is something I can use , is not like I can ebay it
    Thanks
    Gustavo Castilla
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    35mm
    Gustavo

I have used the PDN system for POP and briefly for cyanotype and gum. It works very well, a vast improvement on other digital curve methods. However your "trouble with density" with gum may be a gum issue rather than a digital curve issue?

David

Quote Originally Posted by davidharris
    Gustavo

I have used the PDN system for POP and briefly for cyanotype and gum. It works very well, a vast improvement on other digital curve methods. However your "trouble with density" with gum may be a gum issue rather than a digital curve issue?

David

David,

What kind of results did you get with POP ? Is the negative "grain" clearly visible ? The tests I've made with digital N.(Pictorico) and POP were not smooth enough for my standards.

Thanks

Manuel Gomes Teixeira
    Punctum Studios
    Portugal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by borges62
    David,

What kind of results did you get with POP ? Is the negative "grain" clearly visible ? The tests I've made with digital N.(Pictorico) and POP were not smooth enough for my standards.

Thanks

Manuel Gomes Teixeira
    Punctum Studios
    Portugal
    Manuel, what printer were you using? This does make a difference as different ink sets introduce a different amount of grain into the process. The Epson 1270/1280 seems to have the least grain, then the Epson 2200, and the C6X/8X series of printers have the most. This is from my personal experience using these printers to make negatives for palladium printing.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

my printers

Hi I have a CX 5400 and an 800 ani tips using them ?
    Gustavo Castilla
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by borges62
    ...The tests I've made with digital N.(Pictorico) and POP were not smooth enough for my standards...
    Manuel Gomes Teixeira
    Ahhh. That is a very key statement.

I've done the digital negative route for printing in gum bichromate for several years with several different inkjet printers (Epson 600, 1160, 2000P, C80 and now 2200) and have always experienced good results in that process. The density was always fine for gum (only) and the texture of the rougher papers coupled with the slight misregistrations inherent in gum printing multiple layers always masked the "grain" of those negatives sufficiently to appear OK to me.

Only recently with the Epson 2200 have I felt the digital negatives on Pictorico OHP produce acceptable density and results with van dyke brown and cyanotype processes. With that specific printer the densities are sufficient and the resultant prints have acceptable quality on certain smoother papers than I use for gum.

I suspect the diginegs may or may not have acceptable quality for me on very smooth POP. It may look OK to others. Since others report pleasing results on AZO and with standard silverprints, perhaps the technology has broken the threshold of quality for smooth factory papers. I'm not sure I'll ever find that out though since I've pretty much resolved that the only process I'll use the diginegs for in the future with personal work is gum bichromate. I've finally figured out I'm more of a "process guy" than a "final print guy" and so the digineg route does not appeal to me where an ULF negative will bring good results (e.g., VDB, cyanotype, etc.). However, since the printing stage of multiple layer gum prints is so appealing, and the generation of enlarged 4-color separation negatives via the darkroom such drudgery, I'll continue to use the diginegs for gum. That is unless I get that rare 5x7 3-color camera on eBay before Sandy does.

Perhaps if the thread originator could post specific infomation about the type of density problem they are experiencing (print vs. negative, high vs. low density, etc.) some suggestions could be made to alleviate the problem.

Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    I have been more than happy with the grain/tonal smoothness using Pictorico (Epson 2100) and POP, but then I'm more interested in the image than ultimate quality. Others might perceive problems where I do not.

David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin