Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,558   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

digital negatives?

Im itching to give this a shot, looks like some great stuff can be done with digital negs - any suggestions on what I would use to output the digi negative on? I have a canon i9900 for my color work, what kind of transparecy is good for a digi neg?

thanks in advance,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First and formost the best thing you could do, is post your message in the correct area, there is an alternative area for asking questions of this nature.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus Pictorico Pro High Gloss Film comes highly recommended for inkjet printers. Check it out at Olympus.com. You'll need to get one of the several books on making digital negatives to learn the process. Dan Burkholder.com has lots of info on this topic. So does Mark Nelson's site...you can google his site; I don't know the url.
    John Voss

My Blog

Images
    Also info at unblinkingeye.com
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a couple of notes before you get started:

The canon printer won't work for UV processes (I don't know about silver gelatin printing) as the inks don't block enough UV light. I know this from personal experience.

Instead of the pictorico, use the photowarehouse.biz UltraClear transparancy film. It is about 1/4 of the price and works just as well.

Finally, you need to post in the Gray Area of Apug under the alternative processes forum.

SEAN: can you please move this post?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey dave, thanks for being so helpful.

maybe i should have put digital negatives for CONTACT PRINTING
    but i figured it was pretty much implied that a digital negative is for the purpose of CONTACT PRINTING

but, hey my mistake - i'll be sure to look for the correct area to post next time....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsalomon

but i figured it was pretty much implied that a digital negative is for the purpose of CONTACT PRINTING

but, hey my mistake - i'll be sure to look for the correct area to post next time....
    Mike,
    Dave is correct, there is an area specifically for digital negatives. You can find it under the forum: Alternative Processes
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsalomon

Michael,

I was not being nasty, negative or anything, but suggesting that you may have better luck posting your question in the correct area. now if you wish to have the wrath of apug, decend on your being, then so be it for me to do anything to stop it..

your choice.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Parker; 04-03-2005 at 09:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael, I have to apologize for my APUG compatriots... You see, they fear that this site is the only digital-free zone left on the net and as such, they get a little testy when they hear... well... the d-word. Generally, they are darn nice folks, until someone unsuspecting soul utters... the d-word.

Now, on to your question... You might want to check out (as previously suggested) Dan Burkholder's site with particular interest towards the Inkjet Companion. It's fantastic! But Dan does utilize Epson printers so you're kind of on your own in that regard. There's also Precision Digital Negatives which I've heard is also great but it's a $75 ebook so I haven't had personal experience with it. Olympus OHP Transparency film is what I use and I've had great luck with it. But since Jeremy was so kind to point out what he uses, I intend to give it a try as it is much less expensive than the OHP stuff. Thanks Jeremy!!

Side Question: Has anyone tried the inkjet papers offered by photowarehouse.net? I'd be interested to hear your opinions. Please do feel free to PM me if you like. Thanks and good luck Michael!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael, you are new around here. Dave is correct: some will take considerable exception to digital enlargement questions not in the correct forum, indeed, would rather not have them at all, anywhere... Only your newness to APUG will save you!

Good luck, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin