Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,257   Online: 752

Shooter
    Multi Format

HP Designjet 130 good for Digital Negatives?

Hello, I am curious if anyone has used/tested the HP130 Designjet to make digital negatives? I like the price of $1,300 and the ability to print up to 24" wide with this printer. I would use it to print enlarged negatives for alternative processes including platinum/palladium, and monochrome carbon. Not that would, or could afford, to print many large platinum prints at 24" wide, I would like to have the ability to do so. Thomas R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by traupach
    Hello, I am curious if anyone has used/tested the HP130 Designjet to make digital negatives? I like the price of $1,300 and the ability to print up to 24" wide with this printer. I would use it to print enlarged negatives for alternative processes including platinum/palladium, and monochrome carbon. Not that would, or could afford, to print many large platinum prints at 24" wide, I would like to have the ability to do so. Thomas R.
    I don't know anyone who has had any success with any of the HP printers for making enlarged digital negatives for alternative printing. The ones that I have tried had ink sets that did not have enough UV blocking to be useful for alternative work. I have not tested the HP 130 but I would be very skeptical that it will work for this application, based on tests of other HP machines.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone have a sense of what wide format printers will work for digital negatives? Has anyone tested the new Epson 4800?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slewis
    Does anyone have a sense of what wide format printers will work for digital negatives? Has anyone tested the new Epson 4800?
    The Epson 4800 definitely works. It uses the same pigmented ink set as the 2400 which Mark Nelson has tested and found to work at least as well as the 2200.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have made some negatives for silver printing on Pictorico white film with the HP 130 and I did not feel they were as good as the negs that I make on my 2200. I just tried the HP for kicks since we have one at work. I didn't do any measurements but it did not seem to build up as much density and was more contrasty. All this could probably be fixed by tweaking the curves but I am happy with the negs from my 2200.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy97
    I have made some negatives for silver printing on Pictorico white film with the HP 130 and I did not feel they were as good as the negs that I make on my 2200. I just tried the HP for kicks since we have one at work. I didn't do any measurements but it did not seem to build up as much density and was more contrasty. All this could probably be fixed by tweaking the curves but I am happy with the negs from my 2200.
    Hi, I would be very intersted in knowing fo rsure about the HP 130. If you are willing, I will send you a tonal palette on Pictorico OHP for you to print on the HP 130. If you print it and send it back to me I will measure the densities and make a couple of tests and determine how well this printer will work with Nelson's PDN system.

If interested, just contact me at sanking@clemson.edu. We can share the results with everyone here.

Best,

Sandy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin