Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,882   Online: 966

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Best way to get 35mm film to digital...?

I'm looking at going back to film ( I currently use a Canon 20D) and I'd like to stick to Canon 35mm so i can use my L lens (too much money to waste!!). My main point is that I'd still like to do all my own touching up... What is the best way to get film onto digital..?

The 'regular' scans you get from a shop are really low quality and I heard its expensive to get high res scans if you're shooting high numbers.

Would the best way to go (in the long term) be shoot in Slide film and use a slide scanner...?

NB: I'm totally self taught so I may be missing some things that are obvious to others...!!

Thanks for any advice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon, Canon, minolta all make good quality 35mm film scanners. I prefer the Nikon's the newer the better, but even the old ones are good.

Slides are really easy to scan and correct, but negs hold more information. A slid scaner *is* a film scaner and will do either slides or negs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    hey thanks for the reply

my mate at work sent me this link -
    http://www.canon.co.nz/products/visu...nfs4000us.html

looks like a beast...
    http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/fs4000us/

I'm seriously considering this after I get 2 more lens, I'll stick to my 20D and use it like a polaroid, you know to get exposure and composition etc etc.
    Film is really where I want to go back to...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For slide films the best way would be to find a good drum scanner. I use a 4000dpi scanner, but for 35mm an 8000dpi would be best. Drum scanners pull more detail out of the shadows with less noise. Second best for this would be a film scanner such as the Minolta, Nikon, or old Canon Canoscan. All do a decent job if exposure is spot on and used ones aren't that much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    larry is correct a drum scanner will beat the pants off of any thing else. Between a drum and a dedicated 35mm film scanner is an imacon which does an excellent job.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin