Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,675   Online: 808

Shooter
    35mm

Scanning negatives - odd sizes

I'm trying to scan some odd sized negatives with my flatbed scanner. I've made a few pinhole cameras that make some strange results. They're too big to fit in the negative scanner accessories that came with my Epson Perfection 1250?

Should I use some kind of backing? Any ideas would help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My suggestion would be to try placing them emulsion-side down on the glass, and make your own hold-down frame from matte board. You'll need to flip the image in your image editor, but the result is usually sharper with the emulsion down. Newton's rings are usually not a problem that way, as well.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    My suggestion would be to try placing them emulsion-side down on the glass, and make your own hold-down frame from matte board. You'll need to flip the image in your image editor, but the result is usually sharper with the emulsion down. Newton's rings are usually not a problem that way, as well.
    I second Ralph's suggestion. What you may want to do is cut out a holder from matte board to the exact outside dimensions of another of your holders and then cut a frame in the middle that corresponds to the size the negative you wish to scan. The outside dimension is often important in allowing the scanner to calibrate the light, though I don't know your scanner and don't know for sure if this will make any difference for your work.

In any event I get the best results by scanning with the emulsion side down, which may or may not require rotating the image later on, depending on whether you are making a direct print or digital negative.

BTW, this topic should be in the gray sub-forum under alternative photography. Someone will complain about it being here sooner or later if the moderators don't move it.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 10-22-2005 at 06:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I do with my odd negatives (the 35x60 mm with sprocket holes, for instance, and the 6x11 cm 120 from a converted 616 camera) is to simply lay them on the scanner glass with the scanner set up for 8x10 transparent originals. Works great, and pinhole negatives (at least) I don't scan at high enough resolution for Newton rings to be a big problem -- usually 600 ppi, instead of the 2400 ppi I apply for 35 mm up to 6x9 cm lens images.

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks

Thanks for all of the help. Time to get to work and try some of these ideas.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin