Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,139   Online: 762

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would you use it... digal enlarger to real B&W fibre paper?

Was sent some info from a friend about an electronic enlarger head for printing digital/digitized files onto real B&W paper.
    If this were available and your custom lab had one, would you have real B&W fibre prints done from pixelography?

Apparently it is a head that can be bought as an add-on for some enlarger columns or bought full blown as a digital/darkroom system.

Might be very interesting.

If a custom printer was to put this service in would you use it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I know someone who shoots only digital and had a print made with a DeVere digital enlarger at San Miguel Photo Lab in New Mexico, and he was satisfied with it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    Was sent some info from a friend about an electronic enlarger head for printing digital/digitized files onto real B&W paper.
    If this were available and your custom lab had one, would you have real B&W fibre prints done from pixelography?

Apparently it is a head that can be bought as an add-on for some enlarger columns or bought full blown as a digital/darkroom system.

Might be very interesting.

If a custom printer was to put this service in would you use it?
    Sure why not.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The DeVere enlarger mentioned is priced in the tens of thousands of US dollars. Not something for the casual user. Maybe not even for a lab.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob Carnie does this already in his lab. I don't know if uses this exact technology, but I do know he can print on traditional photographic paper from a digital file.

Maybe Bob can comment on it some more, as I'm not very well versed in this area.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nope. I enjoy the entire process of film use. I like to have different films that have different characteristics, I like to have different developers that have their own characteristics, and I don't care for automation. I'm happy for anyone who does want to use this, but I don't have any interest in it, even if it were free.

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    Video projectors are getting better, and that kind of tells me that digital projection/enlargement is not really a problem any more.

I'd like to it do it on a wall just like how you do with your regular darkroom enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The technology has been discussed here before, if I remember correctly. While it sounds like a potentially interesting way to get "real" prints from a digital image, I'd want to see samples. But, if Bob Carnie is using one, that speaks well for the quality of what it produces.

For film users, of course, the question is essentially moot.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bob Carnie does this already in his lab. I don't know if uses this exact technology, but I do know he can print on traditional photographic paper from a digital file.

Maybe Bob can comment on it some more, as I'm not very well versed in this area.
    Actually Art the process that Bob uses is quite different from the De Vere system. Well.. Bob has a P A R T N E R who uses a digital to analog system, hence the name of the lab : "Elevator Digital".
    Bob is an analog printer himself though.
    The system they use is called a Lamda machine and it is very sophisticated, takes up a lot more room, is a lot more expensive ( a lotalot) and provides a lot better results than the digital enlarger. The Lamda unit actually uses three Lasers for light source. All that De Vere unit does, is convert a digital file in the enlarger head to an image that can be projected through a standard enlarger lens. It is a slick way to make a decent quality print from a digital file (as decent as is possible - several comments above are relevant here) but as was noted, very expensive. There are cheaper ways of simply making a computer printed transparency to use as a neg, which, it seems to me, would yield about the same level of quality. I am guessing, because I have never used either one and have no desire to.
    Since the archival qualities of a silver emulsion print are so much better than any other kind, I suppose that it is good that there is some way to document/preserve the work of any digital photographer who has work worth preserving. In the long run though, it does seem that the whole process becomes convoluted and unneccessarily expensive, not to mention un-accessable, compared to plain old fashioned wet darkroom craftsmanship and hard work.

Tim R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I worked at our local lab, we purchased a new Noritsu 2920 RA-4 printing machine, it is an optical/digital exposure system for printing on traditional RA-4 papers, the machine accepts APS, 35mm and Medium format films, both negative and positive, in addition to input from many different digital sources, it was very expensive about $180K at that time, we could have purchased an optional LED fiber optic system that would have ran to our darkroom enlarger with a computerized head, that would take an exposure from the machine and route it to the head on the enlarger via fiber optic cable, allowing us to make bigger prints than the machine itself could do(12x18) which would have provided exposure on papers up to 20x24, which would have been processed in the Hope RA-4 processer we had. The cost for the optional enlarger head system was almost $75K, bringin the cost of the whole system in the 1/4 million dollar area!!! We did not purchase the option enlarger head upgrade. So to see the option be condensed into a enlarger head size with the capabilities to take digital media does not surprise me.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin