Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,289   Online: 871

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

contact printing alt. process

This is a newbie question but I was wondering if a contact print could be made by simply 1. in photoshop inverting a positive image to a negative, 2. printing this image via ink jet to a normal piece of typing(bond) paper, and 3. using this as the negative for contact printing alt. process?

I know a digital negative can be made using transparency paper but can normal everyday bond copy paper be used? (One would have to be careful to use paper with no watermark or other intrusive features).

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by buggy
    This is a newbie question but I was wondering if a contact print could be made by simply 1. in photoshop inverting a positive image to a negative, 2. printing this image via ink jet to a normal piece of typing(bond) paper, and 3. using this as the negative for contact printing alt. process?

I know a digital negative can be made using transparency paper but can normal everyday bond copy paper be used? (One would have to be careful to use paper with no watermark or other intrusive features).
    Yeah you could probably do that. However that kind of paper has no ink receptur coating so it will have a very large dot gain giving an inpressionistic look. The printing times would be much longer than with a transparent material.

For me personally I've never cared for paper negatives of any kind - for any process, but some folks like them.

Don Bryant

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I saw a demo at the Bromoil conference

It was pretty amazing, at least for that process. Printed out on the cheapest paper and then waxed with beeswax from the store.

Not sure it would work for other processes. Not enough details for anything except bromoils, IMHO
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Yeah, you can use the "invert image" tool and create a negative. Remember to also "flip horizontal" or all your prints may be mirror-image reversals! The paper negative takes a lot more exposure to achieve a print and because of the self-masking effect of the paper base, much lower contrast. So you may want to up the contrast too.
    I use paper negs all the time so if you want any more info, email me.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    There are some very nice paper neg prints from Edward Dimsdale on the HackelBury art site http://www.hackelbury.co.uk/artists/...msdale_sm.html

If you like the idea go ahead and do it, you'll soon find a way of doing it that suits you. Thats the joy of the alternative processes, they set you free to use whatever method you need to make the image you want.

Jim
    There are only three things in life worth doing, art food and work, the order is merely alphabetical and if you can combine the first and the last ............

---------------------------------------------
    Toned Cyanotypes for sale
    http://www.jrbham.btinternet.co.uk/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Yeah you could probably do that. However that kind of paper has no ink receptur coating so it will have a very large dot gain giving an inpressionistic look. The printing times would be much longer than with a transparent material.

For me personally I've never cared for paper negatives of any kind - for any process, but some folks like them.

Don Bryant
    I forgot to mention that I have experimented with printing on vellums such as Clearprint. This can be a very interesting effect but producing a curve for this paper negative has been difficult.

However I've only tried it with black ink. I may try it again using PDN software for use with gum prints.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Art Review: Walker Evans. Or Is It?

An interesting article in the NYTs.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/25/ar...=5070&emc=eta1
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    An interesting article in the NYTs.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/25/ar...=5070&emc=eta1
    I think this post missed it's mark. This has already been discussed today in another thread.
    Don Bryant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin