Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,873   Online: 1150

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Mike,

I suspected as much. My preference is to keep the file in 16 bit while I work on it in Photoshp right up to the point where I print since this reduces the possibility of posterization.

Sandy
    That is what I do with my 8x10's and 4x5's, I guess I'll take what I can get with the 8x20's. THis is so smooth now it is almost scary. Question! Do you have nay more 8x20 holders in stock at this time? I'm thinking of ordering two more. This would bring my total to 5.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Michael

Here is how I would try to scan a 8x20 inch negative.

Set up the negative on a very good light box .
    Then with a Phase Back System on Hasselblad copy the negative.
    very simple , very controllable.

If you want I would do one sample for your as we are equipped for this and see how the quality is compared for other methods.
    I know of a guy who has digitized all his negs, trans this way.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Hi Michael

If you want I would do one sample for your as we are equipped for this and see how the quality is compared for other methods.
    Right Bob, that's exactly what I do. Just pull out my PhaseOne PB 39 back and attach it to the Graplex back of my 4x5 camera!

Yeah right .....
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Don

As the internet is hard to judge whether one is critical, poking fun or making derogatory remarks , since I don't know you I will think you are just poking fun at my post.

But actually here in my home town that is exactly how people are scanning odd size original.
    Having a phase back is totally not out of the ordinary in this market.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Don

As the internet is hard to judge whether one is critical, poking fun or making derogatory remarks , since I don't know you I will think you are just poking fun at my post.

But actually here in my home town that is exactly how people are scanning odd size original.
    Having a phase back is totally not out of the ordinary in this market.
    Bob,

I was poking a little fun, hence the smiley face, no derogatory remarks were intended.

I'm not an anti-digital APUG wing nut member (boy I'll probably catch H-E-Double Toothpics for that one). And in my local area, Atlanta, I'm sure that I could conger one either by begging (oops I mean borrowing) or renting. But as a practacle matter for most of us, obtaining and using a PO back is not likely, though I would love to at least use one.

However, since the original poster of this thread mentioned that his need was to create a CD for distributing his images, I know that is not uncommon for ULF types to make digital captures of their printed work using a digital camera of one kind or another.

Cheers,
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Don

Thanks, I was hoping that was the case,
    Luckily we have a phase on site and our experience from the good old days of copying artwork from transparancie and now with a phase back kind of leads me to this option as the difference is astounding.
    Since this is the grey area I have no problem advising Michael to this possibility.
    I have continued to be a hard core traditional printer. 18 enlargers from 4x5 to 11x14, in fact I just bought a second plate burner 30x40inch for alternative printing. *I will be using a lazer lambda exposing unit to make dodged and burned , contrast masked negatives up to 30 x40 inch for all the altenative processes.
    What we are finding is a client base that had left us , now coming back in droves , as well new young clients who only have known digital, with needs for our hybrid services that bridge the gap between traditional and digital.
    This year alone I have produced over 10 large lambda fibre and lambda cibachrome shows along side a upswing in traditional fibre printing.
    I understand these backs are really expensive , but I believe they produce exceptional quality.

Next on the plate is the new digital enlarger heads that fit on any chassis.*Deveere and Varichromat*

Today I am meeting with the Sales and Marketing Manager of Harmon technoloy world wide *ILFORD*
    I am going to pitch him on making his rc digital b&W paper onto fibre. I think this matching of digital equipment with traditional papers and chemicals, will be a blessing for the Analogue Market as it will create a huge need for new and various silver emulsions to match the needs of the digital and traditional photographer.
    Much like the papers available for INK JET , this new hybrid technology will
    enforce a much larger buying audience for Ilford and other leaders in the Manufacturing of silver emulsions.
    Ironically , the heads of Kodak, may have missed the boat on this and by abandoning or positioning themselves away from silver halide they are bassically cutting their nuts off. George Eastman would roll over in his grave, and if in Kodak there are any *bright lights* they should reliaze this immense market only a couple of years away for silver based products.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Michael

What is the maximum pixel size at 8X20" file size that can be obtained with the Phase Back System on the Hasselblad?

I am having a lot of difficulty in understanding how it is possible to downsize from a real space of 8"X20" to 2.25"X2.25" (optical size) and retain resoluton in lppm equivalent to that of the original negative.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    What is the maximum pixel size at 8X20" file size that can be obtained with the Phase Back System on the Hasselblad?

I am having a lot of difficulty in understanding how it is possible to downsize from a real space of 8" to 2.25" and retain resoluton in lppm equivalent to that of the original negative.

Sandy
    Sandy,

I can't answer your question directly, but my responce about using a digital camera or back was for creating web sized images for distribution on a CD for subsequent viewing by galleries. Typically I don't think high rez images are wanted for those purposes (non repro). Using a digital camera to capture a contact printed image for that kind of use is quite plausible. I know from my experiences of submitting work on CD for juried shows that there is usually a request that the images submitted be in JPG format not more than a few humdred pixels in the longest dimension at no greater than 360 dpi but usually less.

IOW, this kind of capture wouldn't be suitable for use to make enlarged digital negatives and such.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Sandy,

I can't answer your question directly, but my responce about using a digital camera or back was for creating web sized images for distribution on a CD for subsequent viewing by galleries. Typically I don't think high rez images are wanted for those purposes (non repro). Using a digital camera to capture a contact printed image for that kind of use is quite plausible. I know from my experiences of submitting work on CD for juried shows that there is usually a request that the images submitted be in JPG format not more than a few humdred pixels in the longest dimension at no greater than 360 dpi but usually less.

IOW, this kind of capture wouldn't be suitable for use to make enlarged digital negatives and such.
    BTW, I don't use a digital camera for submissions anyway, I just scan a print since I don't normally contact print larger than 8x10 , but if I did have a printed image larger than my flatbed scanner could handle I would use Dan Burkholders method described in one of his Tiny Tutorials, "Making a Web Photo Gallery" in which describes a method for making scans of a negative look like an alt process print, a faux method.

I would rather submit actual prints for juried exhibits but that seems to becoming a thing of the past. On the plus side not submiting work on paper saves wear and tear on my prints. Anyway I could go on but I thing you get the point.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Sandy,

Bob,

I must have misunderstood the context. For some reason I assumed that the scans were meant to provide files that would give equal quality to the original in a print at the same size.

As for photographing the negative over a light box with a digital camera for the purpose of submitting work on CD or for distribution over the net, the phase back sounds like a simple procedure and a good solution.

Sandy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin