Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,396   Online: 1096

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Sandy

As Don explained , I too was assuming that the purpose was for promotional distribution . I would print from the original negative 10 times out of 10.
    My experience with this sort of capture is from smaller negatives and transparancies that have been lit from behind with a strobe, the image positioned between the phase back and the light source. All flare precautions were taken .These new files then would be managed and printed on lambda or light jet.
    I have just found out that Ilford will be supplying me some new paper for lambda fibre printing to test out , and they have agreed to sample me some fp4 for my original intent on making enlarged negatives from the lambda for alternative printing. I should have samples of the new print material when you arrive here in May.
    I must apologize for not being ready with the enlarged negative as this conference has taken up any free time John and I have. I did buy the 30x40 flip top plate burner for this purpose and I have a very large auto fibre paper and film processor being made .
    As stated earlier the hybrid technology is here and now, good or bad I hope Sean keeps this sub forum alive and well , as the implications for analogue users is very well served with some of the new applications and materials coming down the pipeline over the next few years.
    By the way , I did meet Steven Brierley Sales Director for Ilford yesterday.
    It was with immense suprise and pleasure to find out that he and his management team are totally diehard photography nuts, dedicated to Black and White, and Photography in general.
    It floored me his breadth of knowlege and feelings for photography and our photographic community needs to know that these guys are the real deal and trying to find ways to reach out to our community and have seen APUG as one of the strongholds of the craft and are really listening.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bob,

Really forward to meeting you and discussing some of these issues in person.

I also hope that Sean will keep this hybrid forum active, or even main-line it at some point in the future. As I have said before, hybrid techniques offer some of the best reasons for keeping end analog work alive. Many of us in the alternative arena know for certain that the ability to make digitally enlarged negatives has been a very important factor in the rapidly increasing popularity of alternative work that we have seen in recent years. And, I am also convinced that one of the best ways to keep silver printing alive in the future is via contact printing with digital negatives, with the corrections and tonal control already done with a program such as Photoshop.

But I will say no more. This type of thinking has been hazardous to my health in the past.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Sandy

As Don explained , I too was assuming that the purpose was for promotional distribution . I would print from the original negative 10 times out of 10.
    My experience with this sort of capture is from smaller negatives and transparancies that have been lit from behind with a strobe, the image positioned between the phase back and the light source. All flare precautions were taken .These new files then would be managed and printed on lambda or light jet.
    I have just found out that Ilford will be supplying me some new paper for lambda fibre printing to test out , and they have agreed to sample me some fp4 for my original intent on making enlarged negatives from the lambda for alternative printing. I should have samples of the new print material when you arrive here in May.
    I must apologize for not being ready with the enlarged negative as this conference has taken up any free time John and I have. I did buy the 30x40 flip top plate burner for this purpose and I have a very large auto fibre paper and film processor being made .
    As stated earlier the hybrid technology is here and now, good or bad I hope Sean keeps this sub forum alive and well , as the implications for analogue users is very well served with some of the new applications and materials coming down the pipeline over the next few years.
    By the way , I did meet Steven Brierley Sales Director for Ilford yesterday.
    It was with immense suprise and pleasure to find out that he and his management team are totally diehard photography nuts, dedicated to Black and White, and Photography in general.
    It floored me his breadth of knowlege and feelings for photography and our photographic community needs to know that these guys are the real deal and trying to find ways to reach out to our community and have seen APUG as one of the strongholds of the craft and are really listening.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You speak truth, brother. Life as is will be, not as some would like it to be. Full suport from me in this matter.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    IOW, this kind of capture wouldn't be suitable for use to make enlarged digital negatives and such.
    Hi Don,

Just curious. Why wouldn't digital capture be suitable for digital negatives etc.?

phil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philsweeney
    Hi Don,

Just curious. Why wouldn't digital capture be suitable for digital negatives etc.?

phil
    Can I add my 2p worth?
    With the size discussed there would not be enough information to make a large enough negative that carried the level of detail required. If you had a suitable sized digital capture of, say 1Gb or more, then there would be less of a problem.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by philsweeney
    Hi Don,

phil
    Phil,

I would agree with Dave's reply but I also think flare would or could be a significant problem.
    Don Bryant

Hi Dave,

Since I do not know much about the phase one back, let me ask yet another question on top of my original. Let's say I want to make an 8 x 10 digital negative for pd/pt printing. So I'll need 8 x 10 at around 300dpi. In RGB that is around 22Mb. So would the digital capture as discussed be suitable for this size?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Bob,

I must have misunderstood the context. For some reason I assumed that the scans were meant to provide files that would give equal quality to the original in a print at the same size.

As for photographing the negative over a light box with a digital camera for the purpose of submitting work on CD or for distribution over the net, the phase back sounds like a simple procedure and a good solution.

Sandy
    Sandy,

I have posted two of my 8x20 images on the critique gallery last week. you can see how this system has worked. I now can scan about 5-6 negatives an hour with minimal adjustment to a tiff file in 48 bit color. then let the computer change it to 8 bit so it can mend it. then save it again as a original. From here I can bring it up change it and then save the changes as a different file. I keep both the original and the changed file.

Mike
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin