Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,885   Online: 1019

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bulk Frontier 120 scanning/printing?

I would like to scan and proof about 150 rolls of 120 film (6x4.5 format) - essentially to get an automated, somewhat-better-than-contact-printed idea about the content of the 75% of negs I don't end up enlarging by hand. Ideally, I would like to assemble an album of these "outtakes."

Doing this on a Sprintscan 120 seems like a first-class ticket to insanity.

Does anyone know of a lab (preferably in the Detroit area) that has a 120 carrier for Frontier and does not charge an arm and a leg to do machine scanning and/or prints? I asked Adray about bulk pricing for scanning, but they apparently don't believe in that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you have already cut your film, it may be tough to find a bulk scanner that will work with cut frames or smaller strips. If you find someone who is willing to scan them but the cost is too much, what about buying one of the specials Epson is running right now with refurb'd 4870 scanners for $199 and using that? I think it would be faster than your 120 although the sharpness won't be as good (but you did say you were only looking for a bit better than proofing). When you are finished scanning, you could sell your scanner for at least $100 I am guessing, so the total cost wouldn't be that much.

Doug
    Last edited by xvvvz; 07-12-2006 at 04:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.BetterScanning.com

Shooter
    35mm
    an idea, you might want to open up your search to labs running other brands of scanners...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684
    an idea, you might want to open up your search to labs running other brands of scanners...
    Good point. I guess Noritsu and others are ok, too; I just don't know whether those machines ever came with MF heads.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin