Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,582   Online: 1089

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, "Pardon me Roy".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suppose that, too.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some days are like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teacher Conference.png  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm... all my life I thought the singer was addressing a child. I never thought about the song that deeply until this thread. Unfortunately, although I never cared for the song, I now cannot get it out of my head - thanks to this thread. (Worse than that, the lyrics I can't get out of my head are the "cat that ate your new shoes," since that is the joke I'd heard sung repeatedly as a child.)

I choose to continue my original interpretation.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just another gift that just keeps on taking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    the lyrics I can't get out of my head are the "cat that ate your new shoes," since that is the joke I'd heard sung repeatedly as a child.
    I believe it goes, "cat that chewed your new shoes".
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The original lyrics address a person asking for a shoe shine in a train station. Children did not do that for the most part, it was men who shined shoes. I have seen it at train stations and airports all over the USA until we all wised up to the fact that we are all the human race.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So is the book "Huckleberry Finn" racist or is it a contemporary [19th century] book commenting on the racism of one Huckleberry Finn in the book "Huckleberry Finn"?

One should no judge past works by today's values alone. Huck was taking advantage of a slave which even at that time was racist. To bring the issue to the public forum the book was written. Does that make the book racist or abolitionist?

The two lines in the movie reflect the time that it was made. That characterization does not appear anywhere else in the movie. Does that make the movie or the song racist? If so then the US Constitution is racist because it discussed the 3/5 rule. By that logic the Constitution should be destroyed because it is unAmerican.

Sometimes things are just as they are without reinterpretation or revisionism.

All of that is very much off topic. The topic is the deletion of the deleted thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not that I really want to belabor the point, but often children did, and do, perform this service. As child labor laws changed the face of the work force, they became replaced by adults; here in the US. (Most often those of lesser education, or who were unable to obtain higher paying jobs due to discrimination; even though qualified.)

I do agree that the term "boy" has all too often been used as a pejorative towards adult minority males.

Indeed, we are all human beings. The sooner the last few of us get it through our thick skulls, the better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I pointed the lyrics out because it seemed that we were skirting an issue which most did not seem to understand and which should be dropped. Instead, it is being belabored.

Men and boys from minorities both performed menial tasks. And I remember my first visit to Atlanta GA from Pittsburg PA and seeing segregated fountains and rest rooms. I was "rescued" from using the wrong room by a kindly old shoe shine man, next to the door of the "Black Only" mens room. He said "you don't want to go in there, use that one over there" and he pointed for me..

So, shoot me down for being sensitive.

I did read Huck Finn, and have copies of most of Twain. I read them through as a teen and saw people, not skin color even then, so I didn't and don't judge the books.

I might add that in the 50s, my selection of friends crossed lines of race and faith, and because my parents were old fashioned, some were banned from visiting our home.

So, I'm sorry if I made anyone angry for my being sensitive. Most of the stories behind my reactions are better left unsaid here.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin