Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,017   Online: 1123

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the lyrics show the insensitivity and different thinking of another time. My mom, a strong civil-rights liberal born in 1923, used to sing the song without a thought.
    As stated, "boy" was used to address people doing menial tasks. Bellboy, for example. Before it was romanticized, a cowboy was just a man doing a low-level job that lots of people could do- handling cattle.
    But "boy" was also used generally to address black men in much of this country, and is a particularly objectionable term for that reason.

Yet white males in parts of this country still refer to each other as "boy" or "ol' boy" (e.g. "good ol' boy").
    So as it is with certain other words, who is saying it and in what context makes considerable difference.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And now I can't get that song out of my head!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I meant "chewed" instead of "ate."

Although I was born after the time of the song and pejorative term, unfortunately I still see the bigotry today (though not as bad as it was before my time).
    However, I was raised to not even consider it an issue - differences between sub-groups were no reason to judge a person. So while I saw prejudice growing up, and understood it, the whole concept was foreign to me.

I also knew the history of shoe-shines, and since young children had filled the role at one time, that is how I interpreted the song. Perhaps because I was thankfully raised in an environment where "boy" was never used in the pejorative (save for a few adults pointing out a teen was not of the age of majority), I only associated the term with young males.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I pointed the lyrics out because it seemed that we were skirting an issue which most did not seem to understand and which should be dropped. Instead, it is being belabored.

Men and boys from minorities both performed menial tasks. And I remember my first visit to Atlanta GA from Pittsburg PA and seeing segregated fountains and rest rooms. I was "rescued" from using the wrong room by a kindly old shoe shine man, next to the door of the "Black Only" mens room. He said "you don't want to go in there, use that one over there" and he pointed for me..

So, shoot me down for being sensitive.

I did read Huck Finn, and have copies of most of Twain. I read them through as a teen and saw people, not skin color even then, so I didn't and don't judge the books.

I might add that in the 50s, my selection of friends crossed lines of race and faith, and because my parents were old fashioned, some were banned from visiting our home.

So, I'm sorry if I made anyone angry for my being sensitive. Most of the stories behind my reactions are better left unsaid here.

PE
    I think the progress and example of those who came before us has created a situation where many slurs have lost much of their import - which is good (and reminds me of a Lenny Bruce routine). You are right to remind us, as we still have a long way to go.

My Paternal Grandfather was stationed in Biloxi Mississippi during WWII, and my Grandmother had gone down to be with him at one point - they were both born and raised in Ohio. He told stories of how bigoted and segregated it was down South. Even though they were both prejudiced, they felt ashamed of how blacks were treated in the South. In Mississippi my Grandmother was told she should sit in the front of the buses and theaters. She preferred sitting in the back and was unaware of the segregation before traveling down there. It was foreign to her, despite her own prejudice, that any place would separate people like that.

On the other hand, my Maternal Grandparents (whom I was closer to), and both my parents, couldn't care less what someone was; they only cared who someone was as a person. My Maternal Grandfather had friends of all "races" as a child in the 1920s and 1930s.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too serious for Sirius.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not too serious. When I was ten we were on a trip to Skyline Drive for the Fall Colors. We stopped for gas in Front Royal. In front of the gas station was a new electric cooled water cooler with a sign above it that said "Whites Only". Next to the water cooler was a rusty faucet that was about two feet above the ground. It was labelled "Coloreds". I never forgot that.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, "Separate but Equal" was an odious fallacy the Supreme Court indulged. It was never enforced, and was impossible to guarantee anyway. Your example illustrates that perfectly.

Sometimes I marvel at all the craziness that people accept as normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    lxdude, the Supreme Court was against "Separate but equal." See the Brown vs Board of Ed in 1954.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_v...d_of_Education
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our schools in PA were integrated in the 40s. I never saw a sign of segregation but I did see discrimination.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    lxdude, the Supreme Court was against "Separate but equal." See the Brown vs Board of Ed in 1954.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_v...d_of_Education

See Plessy v. Ferguson, 1896.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, people tend to forget PvF. It was quite a different time back then.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin