Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,604   Online: 1118

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Darkroom co-op in San Francisco

Does anyone know of a darkroom co-op in San Francisco? I don't have a darkroom and I'd like to keep up with processing and printing. I know of Rayko and Harvey Milk but perhaps a co-op would be more convenient. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is one in the mission that occasionally has openings. I want to say it's something like $145 a month. They generally post something on Craigslist when there is an opening. It's a pretty nice darkroom with 24 hour access. I took a look at it a few years ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    I learned to develop my black/white 35mm at Noisebridge on Mission near 17th Street.

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge
    https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Resources/Darkroom

Get on the mailing list and contact Rubin. He seems to be all knowing and has been there forever (founder?).

Good luck!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So, I got in touch with the co-op that Karl was talking about. I made initial contact with him and nothing. Asked to stop by and check the place out but I never heard back from him. I also got in touch with the co-op, Noisebridge, that Troy suggested. I contacted Rubin, who said I should stop by and check the place out. So, I did. I stopped by and checked the place out. The place is big. One whole floor, it seems, just for them. They do all sorts of things there, so the darkroom fights for space with everything else and is tiny. I'm not a big guy, but that darkroom is very small. If it were mine alone, and I didn't have to share, this might be ok. Small, very small, but okay. Considering I have to share, I really don't know how this would work. Anyway, seems like I'm back to zero. So, anyone know of another darkroom co-op in San Francisco? With school coming to an end, I want to continue having access to a darkroom. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The monthly pass at Rayko might be an option as well. I've been thinking about it myself lately with all this 8x10 I've been shooting. I believe you get a discount on film processing with the monthly pass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While the OP knows about this place, I include it for others in SF who may be unaware of this resource...The SF Recreation and Parks department has the Harvey Milk Center for Recreational Arts, and they operate a Photography Center at 50 Scott St, SF CA 94117

Darkroom Hours
    Tues, Wed,Thurs: 4pm-9pm.
    And Saturday, 10am-5pm
    Closed: Friday, Sunday & Monday.
    Facility Coordinator: Dave Christensen, 415-554-9522

http://www.sfrecpark.org/Rec-SFPhotoCenter.aspx

Back when I was in college (about 40 years ago) I was the assistant to the instructor of a college level black-and-white photography class and we used that darkroom. It was quite nicely equipped back then. I can't vouch for its current condition, as I haven't been there in 40 years, but the web shows a much newer building!
    Last edited by wiltw; 11-17-2012 at 09:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    While the OP knows about this place, I include it for others in SF who may be unaware of this resource...The SF Recreation and Parks department has the Harvey Milk Center for Recreational Arts, and they operate a Photography Center at 50 Scott St, SF CA 94117

Darkroom Hours
    Tues, Wed,Thurs: 4pm-9pm.
    And Saturday, 10am-5pm
    Closed: Friday, Sunday & Monday.
    Facility Coordinator: Dave Christensen, 415-554-9522

http://www.sfrecpark.org/Rec-SFPhotoCenter.aspx

Back when I was in college (about 40 years ago) I was the assistant to the instructor of a college level black-and-white photography class and we used that darkroom. It was quite nicely equipped back then. I can't vouch for its current condition, as I haven't been there in 40 years, but the web shows a much newer building!
    The facilities are very nice. I was looking for something with better hours. That's why I wanted something like a co-op, where I could possibly have access to a darkroom 24/7. Rayko has better hours, but if I'm going to shell out $120/mo, I think I better look for a communal darkroom with better hours.

Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So, if anyone knows of any co-ops out there that aren't widely advertised, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I was in S.F. I'd head to Rayko. Probably too expensive for some people but they have a great setup for photography.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm a little north, in San Rafael, and have a fully equipped darkroom, nothing fancy but everything you need.
    If it's not too far feel free to stop by and check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin