Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,402   Online: 902

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where to photograph planes landing in San Diego

Hey San Diego people, I want to get up on the roof of one of the parking ramps at Laurel and Kettner to photopraph planes gliding in for landing. Which one should I go to - North or South of Laurel?

Thanks in advance!
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on where the wind is blowing. Planes takeoff and land into the wind.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, duh.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Hey San Diego people, I want to get up on the roof of one of the parking ramps at Laurel and Kettner to photopraph planes gliding in for landing. Which one should I go to - North or South of Laurel?
    You're a terrorist, aren't you?

You need to come with me back to the station. We have some questions for you...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The south structure is directly under the flight path, so not a lot of side angle; the north one, being larger and angling away from the flight path, gives you a greater choice of side angle. Up to you. When I lived there many years ago, my favorite spot was always on the sidewalk on Laurel, positioned differently to catch landings or take-offs. I especially liked being near the intersection of Laurel and Pacific Highway. The wall to deflect the jet blast wasn't quite so large then, and the wind and heat made it very visceral.
    Last edited by lxdude; 04-16-2014 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess this answers my question:

http://norberthaupt.com/2012/05/01/l...-in-san-diego/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The south structure is directly under the flight path, so not a lot of side angle; the north one, being larger and angling awayfrom the flight path, gives you a greater choice of side angle. Up to you. When I lived there many years ago, my favorite spot was always on the sidewalk on Laurel, positioned differently to catch landings or take-offs. I especially liked being near the intersection of Laurel and Pacific. The wall to deflect the jet blast wasn't quite so large then, and the wind and heat made it very visceral.
    I'm visualizing a shot that looks like it's going to land on me, but the offset across the street might be nice. I hadn't thought about Laurel and Pacific - that sounds pretty good too. Or maybe up on 5th ave looking south to catch them crossing between the trees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That link pretty much tells the story.
    I lived on Sixth, across from Balboa Park, about six blocks from the flight path. I never completely got used to seeing planes that low over the apartments under the flight path.
    Planes were much noisier then. I don't see how anyone could stand living right in the flight path back then. Rents were cheap in those apartments, but I don't think they could ever have been cheap enough for me to live there. And there was a school right in the flight path, as I recall. The only way that would have made sense was if it had been a school for the deaf, but no, it was more a school for the soon-to-be-deaf.

Funny but true: in Balboa Park, right under the flight path, is an outdoor amphitheater. I don't know if they still have to do it, but back when jets were so much louder than they are now, during a play or musical performance they would have to stop whenever a jet went over. As the plane got close, a crew member would hold up a stop sign (which looked like a traffic stop sign) and the action would stop until the plane had gone over. It was looked upon with humor more than annoyance by the audience. There were fewer flights then, so it didn't happen constantly.
    Last edited by lxdude; 04-16-2014 at 07:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I'm visualizing a shot that looks like it's going to land on me, but the offset across the street might be nice. I hadn't thought about Laurel and Pacific - that sounds pretty good too. Or maybe up on 5th ave looking south to catch them crossing between the trees.
    It's easy to walk around up on 5th and 6th to scout some angles. 6th runs alongside Balboa Park, so no buildings right there. You might get some good shots from the park, too. Inside the park, right under the flight path but at a lower elevation, is the S.D. Air and Space Museum, which is well worth checking out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dude - Oh, I love the Air and Space Museum. A maximum collection of some of the coolest shit man has ever devised. The Japanese garden has a MAJOR addition that I think is now open - when I saw it last year, it was expanding down into some pretty deep ravines. There might be some cognitive dissonance pics to be taken of Planes flying over some Zen-kind-of installations.

I've never been able to get any satisfying pics of the park at all. I don't know why. I'm going to try again on this trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin