Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,742   Online: 879

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    Its also illegal so make sure you have someone to bail you out of jail. And uh..dont call me.

Wayne

thank you wayne!

where i live ( in rhode island ) if there is more than 3parts/million silver (they can't test below that ) you can get in a lot of trouble dumping down the drain. in providence, if you pour 5parts/million you are eligible for a fine up to $10,000 / day you do it - commercial/hobbiest alike.
    a lot of schools and universities dump photochemistry (or used to) down the drain because they "don't know any better" or they don't feel they generate enough waste for it to matter, or they feel they are exempt because they are not a commercial enterprise.

yes, it is true that spent fixer is made into a fertalizer, but they have to treat it first. places like itronics convert fixer into fertalizer.

jason, you might contact itronics to see if they have a photo-place in your area they pick up from. i had tried to have them take my fixer, but it wasn't cost effictive to ship it to nevade from rhode island. instead i have a waste hauler give me a 30 gallon drum and he picks it up about one time ever year/year and 1/2. i get a nice dinner+bottle of wine our of it when the check for my silver comes in the mail, and i don't have any "photographer's guilt" to justify ...
    just the same, it is probably easier to take it to your local household waste drop off than deal with the red tape i have to deal with.

good luck!

-john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A cubic mile of seawater has 5,000 pounds of silver in it.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Contact any college and or university in California that has a phtography department. They take out the silver then mix the spent chemistyr and down the drain it goes. Unless it has changed in the last 6 months they still do it. Once the B&W chems have been mixed they are no more harmful than vinegar. Creating a climate of fear and false information on this will not change it. Pyro chems oxidize rapidly and once they have are inert. Color chemistry is another matter. That has some nasty stuff in it. Jason uses B&W chems. BTW I lived across the bay from where he lives near Berkeley. Now you want the ultra hyper paranoid environment that was it.
    All I did was state that I believe dumping chemicals on the ground is illegal, I dont see anything "ultra-paranoid" or anything that creates "a climate of fear" in that.

Wayne

Shooter
    35mm
    the police are on their way. they'll overlook the crack house a few doors down, and bust through the door to your your darkroom, guns drawn and with a k9 unit trained in silver detection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffneedham
    the police are on their way. they'll overlook the crack house a few doors down, and bust through the door to your your darkroom, guns drawn and with a k9 unit trained in silver detection.
    hope they dont expose your print!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not that I would do such a thing, of course, but how would anyone find out what you pour down your drain?

Russ
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin