Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,153   Online: 876

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu
    Hi, there is a Edward Weston exhibit at the Oakland Museum, which I believe is near a BART train station: http://www.museumca.org/exhibit/exhi_weston.html

Jon
    Excellent! I feel a sore throat coming on...(cough, cough).

Yes, the Oakland Museum is one block from the Lake Merritt BART station.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You will want to check out the Fraenkel Gallery, the Wirtz Gallery, the Scott Nichols Gallery, etc. All in one building & not open Sunday or Monday so that probably makes it the 16th for you. The galleries are all in the same unmarked building @ 49 Geary, around the corner from Union Square or the downtown Ghirardelli, Virgin Megastore, Apple, etc. in case the family's not too keen, & near 77 Geary (which has less photography)

http://www.kochgallery.com/

http://www.hainesgallery.com/

http://www.fraenkelgallery.com/

http://www.wirtzgallery.com/

http://www.scottnicholsgallery.com/

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most magical time in the city to me is near 5:00 am this time of year. It's just as the light is starting to infiltrate the night, and the street lights are no longer the main source of illumination. The whole city has this difused monochrome feel that is so quiet. The city has not woken up and the traffic is nonexistent. It is a stark contrast to the chaos that in just a hour or so will invade the slumbering city. Set your alarm clock early one morning and go have some quiet fun.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another thought to file in the "intersting" category is each time I've been to SF if you go down to Market Street after dark, say 9pm the musicians come out, typically between 4th and 5th streets. One time I saw an amazing drummer doing solo's, and another a guy brought a honda generator and a mixing board, turntable and speakers and was mixing dance music on the sidewalk. The restored streetcars run the F line down Market street and out to the Castro, so that adds some interesting colour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Another thought to file in the "intersting" category is each time I've been to SF if you go down to Market Street after dark, say 9pm the musicians come out, typically between 4th and 5th streets. One time I saw an amazing drummer doing solo's, and another a guy brought a honda generator and a mixing board, turntable and speakers and was mixing dance music on the sidewalk. The restored streetcars run the F line down Market street and out to the Castro, so that adds some interesting colour.
    Not all those interesting people are nice. Carry a sturdy tripod with you just in case. I took jewelry classes at approximately 450 Market and sometimes we were there until 10 pm. The day people that get replaced with night people can be scary and oft times threatening. Only once did I have to use one of my tools, (flat nose pliers) to defend myself. I think the word got around quickly as I was never harrassed again. But then I was carrying a case that contained silver, gold, and gem stones. A camera is just as tempting some of them. The castro area is very safe even after dark. It is one of the cleanest and nicest parts of town. You can find some of the best food in the Castro as well. If you go to the Embaracdero, which is where Market dead ends into the SF bay, you can catch the same restored street cars to take you to fishermans wharf. Pier 39 is better than the rest of the Wharf, but is still too touristy. Hit coit tower it is on the way too. There is what is called the bay model over in Sausalito. It is where they constructed a small scale (takes up 4 football fields) model of the bay. When they are filling it for reasearch, it is funn to watch what all the different formations on the bay floor do to the water. Angell Island is a fun place to catch the ferry too, and hike around. In fact the ferries are fun to go on and just turn around and come back. Cheaper than paying for the big tours boats that do almost the same thing. If Brad can get away there is also Niles canyon where they have trains. It is the place where Charlie Chaplin had his first movie studio. Hi might even take you to Ardenwood it is easy to find just off 880 and hwy 84 near Fremont and Newark. It is an old village that practices what it was like in the early bay area doing everything the old fashioned way. As an analog person you would love it. You daughter would get a big kick out of it as well. A couple hours south or less if you drive like me, is the Big Basin redwoods park. It is closer than driving to northern california.In Golden Gate Park go to the Steinhart Aquarium. I had to drag my kids there for a school outing. Your daughter will love that place. Of course you have to go see my legs at Haight and Ashbury.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, not sure I'll manage to meet up with anyone. We are trying to cram in as much as possible in our short stay and it's NOT easy to say the least. We were out all day today (oh my aching feet), and tomorrow we have several things we want to do, then our final day will be taking my daughter to six flags marine land. So I think we're out of luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have a great time in SF, and a safe trip home. It was great seeing you again in Toronto.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SEANNNNNNNNN Napa valley is real close to marine world. In fact about 25 miles and just one real turn to get there. It is so easy to find from Marine world you will kick yourself if you don't spend just a bit of that day at the Mumm Winery/Gallery. I know how much you love Ansel Adams! It has the largest display of Ansel's work outside of traveling shows. You will be soooooooo close it is one of those for you, once in a life time opportunities. I can get a map that will take you directly to the winery if you want to do that. DON'T miss it. I've taken many apuggers to that gallery, and none have ever regretted seeing it. Go early before you hit Marine world. I think the gallery is open by 10 am. about the same time Marine world would open. This way you can cram both in the same day.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would have to second Aggie's recommendation for the MUMM Winery/Gallery. The Ansel Adams display is worth the trip alone. In addition - at least when we visited the gallery there was quite a display of a number of other photographers as well. After visiting the gallery you can take a short tour of the winery or simply put your feet up on their patio and enjoy a flute of champange.

Gord

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gordrob
    I would have to second Aggie's recommendation for the MUMM Winery/Gallery. The Ansel Adams display is worth the trip alone.
    So were the William Neil, Charles Cramer ..... Sorry, but I got more out of them than I got out of St. Ansel.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin