Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,359   Online: 775

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I'll be in San Francisco 14-17 May!

Since they have direct flights from San Fran to NZ we decided to spend some time in San Fran on the way home from the conference & seeing family on the east coast. I promised Lisa San Fran would be a mini family vacation but I'm sure I can slip away for a get together one afternoon? Would anyone be up for it? We are also trying to find some reasonable accomodation in the fisherman's wharf area (well, we've never been to San Fran and this is where we were told to look). Would really love to meet some of you and see some galleries too. Maybe a lunch + gallery crawl? I'm open to anything contained within a half day.

Thanks!,
    Sean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hope you have a great time there Sean. It is a beautiful area, with a lot of things to do. Unfortunately, I haven't been there in many years, so I can't offer any advice, except enjoy yourself.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hell yeah, I'm game. Depending on what work is like I might only be able to make the lunch half the feed and crawl but count me in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no other place on the planet like San Francisco. Have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Since they have direct flights from San Fran to NZ we decided to spend some time in San Fran on the way home from the conference & seeing family on the east coast. I promised Lisa San Fran would be a mini family vacation but I'm sure I can slip away for a get together one afternoon? Would anyone be up for it? We are also trying to find some reasonable accomodation in the fisherman's wharf area (well, we've never been to San Fran and this is where we were told to look). Would really love to meet some of you and see some galleries too. Maybe a lunch + gallery crawl? I'm open to anything contained within a half day.

Thanks!,
    Sean
    Hi,
    I would certainly be pleased to join in the fun. I can also think of several places I would rather stay than adjacent to one of the most tourist impacted spots on earth. What sort of range would you define as reasonable, is it just the two of you, and do you have any other activities in mind?
    Celac.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pelerin
    Hi,
    I would certainly be pleased to join in the fun. I can also think of several places I would rather stay than adjacent to one of the most tourist impacted spots on earth. What sort of range would you define as reasonable, is it just the two of you, and do you have any other activities in mind?
    Celac.
    I'll be with my Wife and our 3 1/2yr old Daughter. It seems like everything near fisherman's wharf is 200 a night so I guess maybe 125-175 a night would be a bit easier to stomach. It gets frustrating searching on the web, we keep finding places that say they are 130-150 a night but after plugging in the numbers it jumps 30%. We're not going to be doing anything like this again for a while so we want the place to be decent. We also will need to be able to walk most places or take bus/tram since the cabs will not have car seats. Activities are up in the air and we're still looking into it. Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Sean,

You might want to try the Gates Hotel. It is located downtown and about as cheap as you can go. You can get a room for less than $US 100.00. Not particularly luxurious though. Be sure to have a drink in the view lounge on top of the Mariott - fantastic views over SF at night. If you like Sicilian seafood and pasta, go to the Cafe Sport; it is a small family restaurant on 574 (?) Green Street. I seem to remember this is northeast of Chinatown. Try the museum of modern art (http://www.sfmoma.org/ ). You might find something of interest there. SF is a great place. Enjoy it to the fullest. Best, Markus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean contact Livemoa and find out what hotel it was that his friend stayed at. It is two blocks off Union square and ultra reasonable. You will be able to hit all easily used public transportation from there. It is also about 5 blocks from the start of China town and Grant Street. North beach is the area for Italian food and also good seafood. The locals swear by Scomas as the best seafood resturant, but I have my favorite that over looks the bay and Alcatraz as well. If you want to do the tourist thing and go out to Alcatraz make reservations 6 weeks in advance to make sure you can go the day and time you want. The DeYoung museum just reopened in Golden Gate park. Which to me is a great place to go. The Palace of Fine arts is another great museum, but I don't know how to get there via pulbic transportation. There are maps sold near Union square that will show you all the public transportation routes and stations. for less than $5 you will be able to find where to go and how with which line to get there. If someone has the time, Napa valley is great, and would also be fun for your daughter. The Mum Winery has a large Ansel Adams gallery along with exhibitions of current photographers. It is a must if you can get there. Mateo land is not far south at Monterey/Carmel That area I'm sure your wife and daughter would love. Fort Mason just a few blocks from Fishermans wharf usually has great art shows going on. Most the photo galleries are near Union square. To bad I'm not still living there, I could really get you and your family around. Just be careful if you venture south of Market street. The area they call the tenderloin is not exactly a place you would want to go, and especially with your family. Get hold of Geary gaylons and I'm sure he will put together a party for you. BradS knows him and probably has his phone number still. Bjorke has been there as well. With this much notice who knows who might show up, minus me.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,

It seems like there are really only two options in SF: Very expensive or very cheap. For cheap, I'd stay at the hostel on Fishermans Wharf. You can get a private room for about $80 and its easy to get around as it's on the end of the cable car line. http://sfhostels.com/locations/fishermans_wharf.php

For the very expensive, but still a deal, you want to stay at the Fairmont, which is a SF landmark, and a beautiful hotel. Go to www.fairmont.com, and join their Presidents Club. It's free, but once you log in the "members only" website, you can get some great deals. As an example I stayed at Jasper a few weeks ago, and I looked at expedia, travelocity and the hotels site itsself and all had the same rate. I then checked the members site to see if there were any deals, and the room was half the price, and it included the breakfast buffet, which was $30 by itself!

I just checked, and you can get a room for $203, which is an excellent price for that hotel. Another option is the Palomar, right on Market street. It's a nice hotel, but costs more than the deal at the Fairmont. When you're in Toronto, have a look at the Royal York, it's also a Fairmont.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DO NOT DEPEND ON CABLE CARS TO GET AROUND, the tourist use them to the piont that it could take you over an hour standing in line if the cable cars are turning around fast. Muni, the bus lines, and Bart are the best transportation lines. The hotel at fishermans warf is next to the low income housing projects and has a problem with security. If your really want venerable old SF hotel you go to the Sir Francis Drake just a half block north on Powell street from the Fairmont. The fairmont 's claim to fame was it was the site of an old televesion program called Hotel. Both of those hotels are about 2 blocks from the one livemoa's friend stayed at at it was only $70 a night. It was in a quiet clean area, and was ideal. Post street is the north side of Union Square. It is a more expensive shopping street than Hollywoods Rodeo Dr. Fun to look at. On the south side of Union square is the big Macy's department store. They have a very reasonably priced upscale gourmet food court in it. one of the best is the wolfgang Puck cafe. Boudins are everywhere. Best sourdough bread. They also have clam chowder they serve in a bread bowl. Ghiradelli square at fishermans warf is fun for your daughter. The old maritime museum is also on the west end of fishermans warf, you will like it and so will your family. They often have people doing demo's on how to hand build the old fashioned way a boat. Suttro gardens overlooking the pacific is another under photographed place. It is usually shrouded in mists. There is a bus line that will take you right out within a few blocks off where the worlds fair back the turn of the century last century was held. It is one of those famous landmarks. There is a great carosel for kids just one block west of SFMOMA. SFMOMA is about 300 w. and 200 south just south of mission. Easy walk from Union Square area. The main bus stop is at 300 w. and about 50 N.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin