Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,085   Online: 767

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Hmmm ... thanks for the responses so far people. I do like visiting galleries, but that's not really what I was looking for. I'm looking for centers that offer classes, workshops, seminars, darkroom rentals, etc... that sort of thing. With a focus on Photography - traditional and historical even better.
    Contact Per Volquartz through APUG for darkroom classes that are well worth the cost. He lives in Pasadena.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Shmoo! That's exactly what I was looking for - especially Otis and ACCD. Though I wish there were more smaller 'art centers' that offered traditional photography workshops and classes, like there are on the East Coast (and around San Francisco). I'll eventually find them all when I get out there.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Also, from what I can tell, San Diego City College has a rather extensive series of photography classes as well. In the Santa Barbara area there's Brooks... Oh yeah, and Santa Monica College has a VERY extensive photography program as well.

S
    Last edited by Shmoo; 03-14-2008 at 12:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added stuff.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
    Also, from what I can tell, San Diego City College has a rather extensive series of photography classes as well. In the Santa Barbara area there's Brooks... Oh yeah, and Santa Monica College has a VERY extensive photography program as well.

S
    I attended San Diego City College in the early 70's and received an AA in Photography. I don't know what the current class line up is but back then
    classes were taught by working and retired pros. They not only taught the craft of photography but the business side as well. Very well worth it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Thanks Shmoo! That's exactly what I was looking for - especially Otis and ACCD. Though I wish there were more smaller 'art centers' that offered traditional photography workshops and classes, like there are on the East Coast (and around San Francisco). I'll eventually find them all when I get out there.

Regards, Art.
    Santa Monica College has an excellent photography department, they also have community service classes in black and white printing and other topics.

www.smc.edu

http://commed.smc.edu/

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format

Photo resources in San Diego...

Hey:

Sorry for not responding immediately and I hope you still find this useful.

I live in San Diego. Like you, I too wanted more than museum visits (though I love having MOPA here), and sought out alternative sources for photographic inspiration and direction. Here’s a web site to get you started:

http://www.scacc.us/

It lists various clubs in the San Diego area, and they offer workshops, lectures, field trips, and general camaraderie with other imagers. The Polyphoto Club (www.polyphotoclub.com/) is quite active in a wide variety of areas.

Another wonderful source is Grossmont College (www.gcccd.edu) on the western edge of El Cajon, and easily accessible from most areas of San Diego. They have a phenomenal photography curriculum there, everything from tradition and digital arts, to large format, alternative processes, and an occasional historical lecture class. The professors there are top flight photographers and artist in their own right (google Suda House or Paul Turounet-just two of a staff of wonderful artists), and they just completed a state-of-the-art analog and digital photography lab. Take just one course a semester, cost around $100, and you will get more than you can dream of.

Hope this helps.

BVS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin