Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,675   Online: 1156
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    gr82bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Culver City, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,224
    Images
    37

    So what's out there in SoCal?

    So are there any decent traditional photographic art centers in the Los Angeles area?

    In the East Coast around NYC to Boston corridor, there are a number of places like ICP, the Creative Arts Workshop, Maine, RISD, the Center for Historical and Alternative Photography, the Valley Photo Center, Peter's Valley Center, etc... that have traditional, alternative and historical photography classes, workshops, seminars and darkroom facilities.

    What the are equivalent resources/centers in the SoCal area? Are there any?

    Thanks, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

  2. #2
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    I know, not much down here. There's the Getty, and the place in Balboa in San Diego. I guess we are close to MOnterey, so you can always get to Carmel. Not sure where all the Hollywood glamour from the heyday are, I"m sure someone living in L.A. can tell.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    So are there any decent traditional photographic art centers in the Los Angeles area?

    In the East Coast around NYC to Boston corridor, there are a number of places like ICP, the Creative Arts Workshop, Maine, RISD, the Center for Historical and Alternative Photography, the Valley Photo Center, Peter's Valley Center, etc... that have traditional, alternative and historical photography classes, workshops, seminars and darkroom facilities.

    What the are equivalent resources/centers in the SoCal area? Are there any?

    Thanks, Art.
    Freestyle always has exhibits and offers a variety of workshops.

    See: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum261/...tml#post525919

    Many of the SoCal Universities, Galleries and Art Schools are good resources.
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I know, not much down here. There's the Getty, and the place in Balboa in San Diego. I guess we are close to MOnterey, so you can always get to Carmel. Not sure where all the Hollywood glamour from the heyday are, I"m sure someone living in L.A. can tell.
    Eric, were you referring to The Museum of Photographic Arts in Balboa Park?

    Great resource!

    http://www.mopa.org/
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

  5. #5
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Eric, were you referring to The Museum of Photographic Arts in Balboa Park?

    Great resource!

    http://www.mopa.org/
    Yep, that's it. Been there once.

  6. #6
    kman627's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    101
    Images
    29
    MOPA in Balboa Park is great. It's free the second Tuesday of every month.

  7. #7
    Shmoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    972
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kman627 View Post
    MOPA in Balboa Park is great. It's free the second Tuesday of every month.
    AND - it's located in one of the most photographic areas in the state!!!
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SF Bay area, California
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    92
    Images
    19
    You can see what's to see at the LA County Museum online:
    http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/m...age;dept=photo

  9. #9
    gr82bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Culver City, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,224
    Images
    37
    Hmmm ... thanks for the responses so far people. I do like visiting galleries, but that's not really what I was looking for. I'm looking for centers that offer classes, workshops, seminars, darkroom rentals, etc... that sort of thing. With a focus on Photography - traditional and historical even better.

    I've been to the Getty and Balboa Park in SD. Great places to see pics, I agree. Freestyle is fantastic store and I've been there several times too. They've outsourced their workshops to Julia Dean, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

    I was hoping that there was a gem in the sand - like a La La Land Center for Photographic Arts that has alternative printing workshops once a month, outings in the summer, darkroom rentals at a discount, etc... alas, I can dream ...

    Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

  10. #10
    Shmoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    972
    Images
    11
    There are the Julia Dean workshops, Otis College of the Arts, The Art Center College of Design, UCLA Extension, if that's what you're looking for.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin