Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 753

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Glad you have found your place. I love SLO. My family has been in the same part of NE L.A. (Highland Park) for six generations. We are certainly glad any time someone moves OUT of L.A! One less car in my way.

L.A. is the place to live if you want to be private, for sure, but it is plenty social and friendly if you seek it out. I never lock my car, and rarely even roll the windows up. I talk to strangers every day. The social behavior does not just happen here; you have to put some effort into it. It won't hit you in the face every day like other big cities, but if you want it, it is there. This all comes down to geography, which I believe does more than anything else to shape a culture. This sort of social interaction is not as necessary as it is in tighter cities. Another thing is that skin is very thin here, so it often backfires when you are social or emotive. Weird place, but by far the best place I've been. The diversity of the people and geography can't be beat. I have lived in white America, and it made me love L.A. even more.

IMO, the worst thing about L.A. BY FAR is how early everything closes, and the low number of decent vegetarian restaurants. I am a night owl and a vegetarian, so this makes it rough to spend my free evenings anywhere but at home!
    Have you tried "Vegan Glory" near the Beverly Center? Delicious Thai vegan food... I digress...

Most people bash L.A., and I miss it....and I only moved 130 miles south to San Diego!!! Most of the photographic community in L.A. centers around commercial work, universities, galleries, etc. It's a competitive but very open environment. AND no one blinks an eyelash when they see cameras around town...sorta' normal, actually. Add to that the availability of photo supplies and equipment (Freestyle, Samy's, Calumet...all have stores in L.A.).

I have to laugh when someone plans a trip to So. Calif. and everyone bashes L.A. There is so much to photograph that it's hard to put the camera down. Just spend a day downtown.

As for meeting people from APUG, a lot of us have already met...one way or another. Per Volquartz's workshops, various conferences, etc. Do we meet up regularly? Probably not...but if you wanted to start something up, I'm sure other Angeleno's would jump in.

S
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love SLO.
    Well, you're formally invited to come on up for a weekend trip sometime. We'll go shoot some film in some natural setting if you like. Montana de Oro perhaps. Or up the coast from San Simeon. Or, somewhere deep in the Los Padres National Forest. There is an abundance of beauty up here if you're into that sort of thing.

Oh, and having been a vegetarian for more than 5 years at a time, I know how to cook very tasty vegetarian dishes.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As a new user, I am just wondering if the regional groups are actually clubs with meetings and such; kind of like a car club. with a monthly meeting, newsletter, etc.

If not, what do you all think about such an idea? There are probably enough of us in the L.A. area to get something together every now and then.

2F/2F
    I used to live in Glendale when I worked at Disney. Now I live in Phoenix, but I look for any excuse to get out to LA on a weekend. I've read some of your posts and I know you shoot old Canon FD gear. Maybe we could get together some time and have dueling FTb's!
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SharpMonkey View Post
    Not to offend anyone but this is an observation of mine, being a native Los Angelino and traveled the country and lived in other places it seems that southern Californians are something like peaches. Sweet on the outside but a tough nut to crack on the inside. On the surface Californians appear to be friendly but standoffish when put to the test. There's even a bit of that in me, since we are the products of our surroundings, so no offense to the rest of you's, okay? I don't want to be shot on the freeway again!

I've noticed that people who live in lands where there is very severe weather (northern mid-west as an example, Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas) build very strong social ties to their neighbors even if they are not very similar in terms of personality traits. In Des Moines Iowa as an example, one can stand on their rear porch and see their neighbors rear yard and their street beyond and some houses on the opposite side of that street and beyond. Contrast that with Californians who build walls tall enough to prevent neighbors from seeing their beautifully landscaped million dollar homes. Another test of social habits would be to watch what goes on inside of elevators. In Des Moines Iowa, perfect strangers strike up conversations as they ascend or descend skycraper elevators, and it is so normal nobody gives it a second thought. In Los Angeles, people are usually looking off into never-never-land or the floor or their shoes or the sign with lighted floor numbers above the door. And.. If you try to strike up a conversation with them they look at you with deep suspicious eyes while their hands rummage inside their bags doing the braille search for the can of pepper spray or mace.

Sad?

Well, hope that didn't anger too many people. Having said all of that, I've moved away from the southern part of Southern California. I'm living in San Luis Obispo now. Technically this is central coast. We tend to talk to each other more freely up here. In many ways this is heaven, figuratively and literally. The weather here is much better than Des Moines Iowa, and the people are very courteous, like Des Moines. They are also very even keeled and while green they haven't lost their free enterprise capitalistic roots and overall sense of value. One big test of a community is to watch how the drivers on the roads treat bicyclists (I bike to work, and I feel safe doing that even though there are some really bad spots on some of the roads that tend to favor automobiles, I will blame that part on CalTrans and the government who would rather send soldiers to foreign land to bomb and destroy infrastructure among other bad things, rather than build roads which would truely set us up a few notches higher than Mexico).

Well, your comments didn't evoke any anger in me. I'm a native LA county person, having been born in Whittier in 1960. Being a world traveler, I have to say that a lot of your observations of LA are very typical of other large cities all over the world. You'll see the same "tough nuts" in Chicago, New York, London, Paris, Madrid, Sofia, Moscow, Munich, to name a few, and to varying degrees, more or less city/country depending.

That is how it is. I don't see it in terms of good or bad, happy or sad. It just is. Big city dynamics. I worked in Des Moines back in 1993, consulting at the Maytag plant in a berg called Newton, so I know what you mean when you describe the nice and genuine folk there.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Joshua Tree

Planing on going out to Joshua Tree this Friday,Sat.and Sunday June 12,13,14. Camping with my daughters and their Rock climbing group ,will try to save parking spot for any Apug photo togs . Give me a P.M. if interested. I don't climb, just photograph.

Mike Clark
    Last edited by mike c; 06-09-2009 at 01:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    Planing on going out to Joshua Tree this Friday,Sat.and Sunday June 12,13,14. Camping with my daughters and their Rock climbing group ,will try to save parking spot for any Apug photo togs . Give me a P.M. if interested. I don't climb, just photograph.

Mike Clark
    I will be out at 29 this weekend. Not sure If I will have any time, but I will keep it in mind. I think my year passes are still vallid. Thanks for the invite.

If you have the opportunity, try a breakfast at the Country Kitchen, right near the park entrance on Hwy. 62, near the Circle KKK. Excellent blueberry pancakes, and just about everything else.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    We have been gathering faithful film shooters here at our house just south of Cleveland, OH for 3/4s of a year. I came away from my first Bill Schwab northern MI gathering feeling that everything was good about the event except that there wouldn't be another one for twelve months. As people in this thread have suggested, I posted a gathering here last fall, about three months after my second trip to Bill’s, and talked it up on APUG. We had 22 people come for between a day and four days, camping in our back yard or staying at local motels. We rented a porta potty hoping people would share the cost. They did and we used the excess cash for coffee every morning. We met to talk at 9 AM. Some went out to shoot before that. Others slept in. We talked or shot all afternoon and met again at 5 PM. After spending 2.5 hours deciding what we wanted to do for dinner, I arbitrarily picked restaurants from then on. We did show and tell of our work and equipment in the evening and started over the next day.

It was so much fun that many of us met again for fall color in October. That is pretty funny because as the host, I am 85% color blind. We met again in March for combined museum tours of Edward Weston and two Friendlander exhibits in Akron and Cleveland, plus rounds of ethnic food and conversation. We met in May to shoot early in the morning in some rocky ledge area nearby. We are conveniently situated two miles from the third most visited national park, Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The desire to do this for like minded people is regularly bringing 10-22 people an event from three states. There is some shooting, but in my opinion the real draw is for like minded people to talk, share work and ideas with other like minded people.

For those wishing this sort of thing but reluctant to try let me offer these thoughts. This is a second marriage for me and early on I listened to my wife encourage her shy teenage daughter by saying that if you host the party you are always invited. If you host the party you don't have to drive 400 miles one way as I did to bill Schwab's events. If you host the party you don't have to sleep in a tent, something my 69 year old back is not fond of doing. If you host something that your guests really want they make sure no one abuses the system. Prior to the first event someone warned me of people loose in the house, potential for theft, vandalism and mess. I put out trash cans, rented the porta potty, but really made no other effort to secure or protect. After four days with twenty two people wandering about there was not a scrap of paper on the ground, a bottle in the trees, anything broken or missing. This has brought such pleasure to me and apparently to others new to me, that we are trying to do it every other month. If you want something like this, I suggest you start it, tailor it to your environment, interest and means.

John Powers
    Happy host of several NE OH gatherings at the Powers’ house.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    IMO, the worst thing about L.A. BY FAR is how early everything closes, and the low number of decent vegetarian restaurants. I am a night owl and a vegetarian, so this makes it rough to spend my free evenings anywhere but at home!
    I have never visited anywhere in America but I was told by an American friend that America was full of 'wackos of every description' (her words, sorry!) so I should be able to find vegetarian food anywhere (I'm vegetarian too).

So I'm surprised at your comment. Perhaps the emphasis is on 'decent'.

Is this just an LA observation and does it vary across the country?

If you're ever on the Isle of Wight, I will cook you a vegi meal and take you out to a gig!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    this is not an event Its a spur of of the moment opportunity for me to get out and use some film ,not organized or nothing. I'm going up Firday And could possibly save some camps sites. Be glad to met you 2F/2F .

mike c.
    Last edited by mike c; 06-09-2009 at 08:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2f/2f give me a PM if before Friday if you think you will stop by.

Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin