Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,568   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

SO...do you all ever actually meet up?

As a new user, I am just wondering if the regional groups are actually clubs with meetings and such; kind of like a car club. with a monthly meeting, newsletter, etc.

If not, what do you all think about such an idea? There are probably enough of us in the L.A. area to get something together every now and then.

2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya it would be nice to be able to collaborate with other photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in New England we get together on an informal basis. If someone has a place to photograph they would like to share with others they post a date, time & place in the Regional forums. All it takes is for one person to have the fortitude to get the ball rolling. I like to think that we have made some very good friends up here in Noo Ingland!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, the New England crew is pretty good with that. I miss that. I wish there were more of us in western PA to meet up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    2F/2F,

There are number of us LF / ULF users in the LA area that get together occasionally. Hugo Zhang puts on the Chamonix Shoot-Outs every once in a while so keep an eye out for them. The last was about a month ago in Orange County where we did a morning of figure shooting. If you want to get something going with the "big camera people", just put a notice proposing a time/place and we'll start coming out of the woodwork. You can also check out things over on the Large Format Forum as well. Even if you don't shoot Large Format, you're still welcome - maybe we can covert you.

Shooter
    Multi Format

LF & ULF people

That's great that you guys are open to us smaller format people. I actually really want to learn LF so I would jump at the chance to tag along even if I'm only using my 645. I hope to make the plunge soon enough, it's just a matter of finding a reasonable set up that's not too expensive starting out...

I'll keep in eye out for you guys.

-DP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    As a new user, I am just wondering if the regional groups are actually clubs with meetings and such; kind of like a car club. with a monthly meeting, newsletter, etc.

If not, what do you all think about such an idea? There are probably enough of us in the L.A. area to get something together every now and then.

2F/2F
    Not to offend anyone but this is an observation of mine, being a native Los Angelino and traveled the country and lived in other places it seems that southern Californians are something like peaches. Sweet on the outside but a tough nut to crack on the inside. On the surface Californians appear to be friendly but standoffish when put to the test. There's even a bit of that in me, since we are the products of our surroundings, so no offense to the rest of you's, okay? I don't want to be shot on the freeway again!

I've noticed that people who live in lands where there is very severe weather (northern mid-west as an example, Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas) build very strong social ties to their neighbors even if they are not very similar in terms of personality traits. In Des Moines Iowa as an example, one can stand on their rear porch and see their neighbors rear yard and their street beyond and some houses on the opposite side of that street and beyond. Contrast that with Californians who build walls tall enough to prevent neighbors from seeing their beautifully landscaped million dollar homes. Another test of social habits would be to watch what goes on inside of elevators. In Des Moines Iowa, perfect strangers strike up conversations as they ascend or descend skycraper elevators, and it is so normal nobody gives it a second thought. In Los Angeles, people are usually looking off into never-never-land or the floor or their shoes or the sign with lighted floor numbers above the door. And.. If you try to strike up a conversation with them they look at you with deep suspicious eyes while their hands rummage inside their bags doing the braille search for the can of pepper spray or mace.

Sad?

Well, hope that didn't anger too many people. Having said all of that, I've moved away from the southern part of Southern California. I'm living in San Luis Obispo now. Technically this is central coast. We tend to talk to each other more freely up here. In many ways this is heaven, figuratively and literally. The weather here is much better than Des Moines Iowa, and the people are very courteous, like Des Moines. They are also very even keeled and while green they haven't lost their free enterprise capitalistic roots and overall sense of value. One big test of a community is to watch how the drivers on the roads treat bicyclists (I bike to work, and I feel safe doing that even though there are some really bad spots on some of the roads that tend to favor automobiles, I will blame that part on CalTrans and the government who would rather send soldiers to foreign land to bomb and destroy infrastructure among other bad things, rather than build roads which would truely set us up a few notches higher than Mexico).
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad you have found your place. I love SLO. My family has been in the same part of NE L.A. (Highland Park) for six generations. We are certainly glad any time someone moves OUT of L.A! One less car in my way.

L.A. is the place to live if you want to be private, for sure, but it is plenty social and friendly if you seek it out. I never lock my car, and rarely even roll the windows up. I talk to strangers every day. The social behavior does not just happen here; you have to put some effort into it. It won't hit you in the face every day like other big cities, but if you want it, it is there. This all comes down to geography, which I believe does more than anything else to shape a culture. This sort of social interaction is not as necessary as it is in tighter cities. Another thing is that skin is very thin here, so it often backfires when you are social or emotive. Weird place, but by far the best place I've been. The diversity of the people and geography can't be beat. I have lived in white America, and it made me love L.A. even more.

IMO, the worst thing about L.A. BY FAR is how early everything closes, and the low number of decent vegetarian restaurants. I am a night owl and a vegetarian, so this makes it rough to spend my free evenings anywhere but at home!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-12-2008 at 04:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait 'till I get out there next year (ya right Art, you said that this year). We'll create our own SoCal hood.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    I am certainly not about to waste my time, with my finger up my ass, associating with a bunch of cretins that have nothing better to do than talk about photography or camera equipment or look at pictures. No not me. As long as I have my finger up my ass I will be spreading joy through out this mortal vessel by putting Preparation H where it will do the most good. I know that many of youse are wise and asstoot enough to believe that I should be using said ointment lingually.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin