Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,086   Online: 981
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,243
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    435
    The Pinnacles are funky because half of them are in SoCal, the other half is a bit south of Gilroy, about an hour from San Jose. Proof positive of the movement of the San Andreas fault, which runs right beside them.

  2. #12
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    If you are good at documentary style photography, I think SoCal is running out of Botox. You'll get some good shots of Newport Beach women jonesing for some. We certainly are not lacking anytype of silicon.

  3. #13
    jhitesma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    7
    I may live in AZ but I'm right on the border and the Imperial Dunes are practically my backyard. Anyone who wants to get together to shoot there sometime let me know. I have several vehicles capable of getting deep into the dunes and away from the crowds if you're looking to get photos of the dunes instead of the crowds. But depending on your tastes both can be outstanding subjects!
    Jason Hitesman
    My Photos: DunePhotos.Com
    My Blog: Never Mind the Sand

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,230
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
    I may live in AZ but I'm right on the border and the Imperial Dunes are practically my backyard.
    How do you feel about the back corners of the Cargo Muchacho Mountains? My wife, infant son, cameras, and I are all due to put in some time out at Tumco sometime this winter; it'd be a pleasure to meet up and poke around the desert.

    -NT

  5. #15
    jhitesma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    7
    There's a lot of exploring to be done over there. Not much to see at Tumco though, it's mainly just some holes in the ground, foundations and a few tanks. We took my wifes sister out there a few years back, it was a rainy year and the wildflowers were incredible. This year may be good for that as well, we've had a lot of rain the past two months:

    (Sorry it's not an analog image...but does show the main Tumco site.)


    If you have a jeep or other 4WD there are some more interesting old mining sites to be found - but they're not as easy to get to. The "Names" or "Graffiti Hills" on the other side of the Cargo Muchacho's is easy to get to and pretty interesting.

    If you're up for some hiking and exploring there's a lot of neat stuff around there - I just wasn't very impressed by Tumco itself.
    Jason Hitesman
    My Photos: DunePhotos.Com
    My Blog: Never Mind the Sand

  6. #16
    sidearm613's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    269
    Blog Entries
    4
    Images
    14
    i'm twisted, but i think the best photo opportunity would be to take an old SLR into the skid row in downtown Los Angeles and photograph in black and white, or even IR
    David

    A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

    dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by sidearm613 View Post
    i'm twisted, but i think the best photo opportunity would be to take an old SLR into the skid row in downtown Los Angeles and photograph in black and white, or even IR
    A friend of mine tried that a few years ago, and the homeless people were not very amused. Luckily she and her friend were able to jump in their car and get away. I get the feeling they felt intruded upon. Of course, technique and the way you go about it are factors. There is a large homeless community there, and illegal activity going on, so I can see how it can be risky, but I can also see how it would make for an interesting photo shoot.

    There are a lot of great places here in SoCal. I tend to like places where you can see the detritus of past human activity as it wastes away under the harsh climate here.

    There is the Salton Sea, which is a favorite among many photographers and a place to which I would like to return. When you are there you can definitely see what happens when society's plans go awry and end up in ruins. But there is also a magic about the place that is hard to describe but is compelling.

  8. #18
    sidearm613's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    269
    Blog Entries
    4
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by dracblau View Post
    There is the Salton Sea, which is a favorite among many photographers and a place to which I would like to return. When you are there you can definitely see what happens when society's plans go awry and end up in ruins. But there is also a magic about the place that is hard to describe but is compelling.
    I also would like to photograph the Salton Sea. Have you a favorite spot on the sea that you would be willing to point out? I think I am going to visit Salton City, but I am at a loss for other places
    David

    A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

    dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

  9. #19
    Domenico Foschi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    440
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by dracblau View Post
    A friend of mine tried that a few years ago, and the homeless people were not very amused. Luckily she and her friend were able to jump in their car and get away. I get the feeling they felt intruded upon. Of course, technique and the way you go about it are factors. There is a large homeless community there, and illegal activity going on, so I can see how it can be risky, but I can also see how it would make for an interesting photo shoot.

    There are a lot of great places here in SoCal. I tend to like places where you can see the detritus of past human activity as it wastes away under the harsh climate here.

    There is the Salton Sea, which is a favorite among many photographers and a place to which I would like to return. When you are there you can definitely see what happens when society's plans go awry and end up in ruins. But there is also a magic about the place that is hard to describe but is compelling.
    You are correct when you say that the approach is what is important.
    If you are interested in some kind of social commentary in taking pictures in skid row, the best approach is to go there and forget that you are there to take pictures.
    If you are really interested in understanding the life of this social slice you need to approach the people and treat them as such.
    Letting them know that you are there to respect them and you are truly inetrested in chatting with them it will make all the difference in the world.
    So, speak first, treat them with respect but don't be fearful, listen to them and talk to them, interact.
    When things have relaxed ask them if you can take some pictures and don't forget to bring with you a decent amount of $ 1 bills.
    For prints sales, workshops and individual lessons,
    please, check my website



    My APUG Portfolio
    http://www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=196<p>

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by sidearm613 View Post
    I also would like to photograph the Salton Sea. Have you a favorite spot on the sea that you would be willing to point out? I think I am going to visit Salton City, but I am at a loss for other places
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, I forgot to check this thread in the last several months.

    I've been to the eastern side of the Salton Sea, and only know that area. I would recommend visiting Bombay Beach, it's a small town that has the sea encroaching upon it. There are interesting buildings trapped in salt mud, and other surreal scenes. The state park areas are nice for camping and have interesting beaches made up of the bones and shells of fish and barnacles. The day fee for the state park area is $6 as of this last weekend, the rest of the Salton Sea is free of charge.

    The west side of the sea has the failed planned communities such as Salton City and the rest. I have to visit them some day.

    The area has become quite the amatuer photographers mecca. This last Saturday I was there and the place was crawling with visitors and their fancy digi-cams, which is fine as I was one of them (with my analog cameras). I would suggest visiting during the week when the tourists and day visitors are at a minimum.

    Just don't pick up any hitchikers, the state penitentiary is at the south end of the sea.
    Last edited by dracblau; 03-24-2009 at 11:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin