Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,280   Online: 847

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Interesting Photo Opportunites in So Cal

Just wanted to start a thread about interesting places to photograph in the So Cal area. I've got a couple I thought I would share.

1. Ontario area in and around Archibald. There are some interesting opportunities. Just West of Archibald on Riverside Dr. there is a golf course while across the street is a dairy farm with cows. While people are playing a hole, others across the street might be shoveling manure, it's something of a strange contrast.

There is plenty of agricultural activity around this area, south on Archibald, just south of Riverside Dr one can find many interesting subjects. In that same area I observed some new track homes which sit adjacent to some massive electrical towers, something I would expect to see from Stephen Shore or John Humble.

2. In OC, I have been interested in Downtown Santa Ana, right around main street. Just plenty of old buildings and opportunities for street photography, as its a busy area and the architecture in that area has some character to it, which is saying a lot for the So Cal area.

3. Another area I have just recently been photographing is the mining towns of Red Mountain, Johannesburg, and Randsburg right off the 395 south of Ridgecrest. There are plenty of things to photograph there and I have been working on a series of old structures in the southwest so this area fell right in there with plenty of interesting structures. However, I have met some of the people in this area and found them to be more interesting, so I may explore that more.

Anyhow, just a couple areas that I thought I would mention. Anybody have some cool places in the So Cal area to share?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Thanks for the tips on the mining areas. Have to get down there sometime.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format

Interesting Photo Opportunites in So Cal

We are fortunate to live in such a photogenic area. Here's a few place in the Southland I like to shoot:

1) Palomar Mountain - for the nature photographers this is a cool place in that it is a unique ecosphere: part Northern California, part southern desert, there is flora and fauna here that is nowhere else in the world.

2) Balboa Park - San Diego's urban park and home to the 1915 PanAmerican Exposition. The zoo is here for animal photogrpahers; the highly decorative facades of the buildings for the architechural photographer, and plenty of people shots doing everything under the sun (both literally and figuratively).

3) Pacific Railroad Musuem - in Campo, about 60 miles east of San Diego. For the ferroequus fan; beautiful trains and all that comes with it, including train excursions, yards and buidings.

4) In-Co-Pah - a geological area with fabulous rock formation. Heading east out of San Diego for about 90 miles, the landform changes from mountainous to desert, and In-Co-Pah is the transition area. Geologically young, the land is littered with huge boulders in all manner of interesting formations.

5) And recently I took a trip to Joshua Tree North, up by Twenty-Nine Palms. I could spend a year there imaging!

Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will Rogers state park has a cool delapitated concrete structure i've been to a couple times. Long hike but worth it.
    Malibu Creek state park. What more can i say about that place.
    Hwy 2, angeles crest in the winter. Can't be beat for places within an hour.

Terminal Island.

The L.A. River. A friend of mine has a fair amount of local work: http://www.johnsmithimages.com/
    We have a group show here in L.A. coming up next month of urban landscapes if anyone is interested, let me know.

vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvstaples View Post

4) In-Co-Pah - a geological area with fabulous rock formation. Heading east out of San Diego for about 90 miles, the landform changes from mountainous to desert, and In-Co-Pah is the transition area. Geologically young, the land is littered with huge boulders in all manner of interesting formations.
    I just drove thru this area 2 weeks ago and I think the best area is called "Devil's Canyon"...simply amazing stuff.

I'd add the Imperial Sand Dunes Rec. Area which is pristine white sand dunes with the Colorado River flowing through it...stunning...just not during the 113 degree heat wave. EEEESH that's hot!

S
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just moved to the Imperial Valley and can attest to In-Co-pah and the Imperial Sand Dunes as both being interesting places to photograph. If you can bear the insane heat there are definitely great photo oppurtunities here.

Shooter
    Large Format

Interesting Photo Opportunities in So Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton View Post
    I just moved to the Imperial Valley and can attest to In-Co-pah and the Imperial Sand Dunes as both being interesting places to photograph. If you can bear the insane heat there are definitely great photo oppurtunities here.
    The sand dunes a very cool, especially when the wind is blowing and the sands are dynamic. However, if the winds are very high, be sure to have a protective filter over your lenses as the sand can etch glass in no time flat. You can't see it, but its happening.

The Imperial County also has a lot of agriculture to image, and then there's the Salton Sea. I've done a fair amount of shooting around "The Slabs" which are mostly abandoned RV pads at the Sea's edge. There are old RV's and trailers being consumed by the land and sea, and there's this guy out there who's painting a mountain (actually a small hill). Great for those that shoot both B&W and color.

Brian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Figure workshop

Thank you guys some spaces have been take
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When you are out near Ridgecrest looking at Johanessburg - don't forget the Pinnacles
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin