Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,440   Online: 706

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Well actually from the central "Coast" really the Salinas - Monterey area. been shooting 35mm B/W for ever and am now loving MF.

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but I'm currently living in Bakersfield.

However I'm planning on moving to SLO, Cayucos, or somewhere abouts there. Bakersfield is alright, but jesus! The summers here!

I know this thread is old, but if anyone in Bakersfield wants to get together sometime or just chat and exchange tips, locations, etc., let me know!

Also, if anyone living in or around SLO wants to give me any tips for moving there, those are also welcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig View Post
    I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but I'm currently living in Bakersfield.

However I'm planning on moving to SLO, Cayucos, or somewhere abouts there. Bakersfield is alright, but jesus! The summers here!

I know this thread is old, but if anyone in Bakersfield wants to get together sometime or just chat and exchange tips, locations, etc., let me know!

Also, if anyone living in or around SLO wants to give me any tips for moving there, those are also welcome.
    I live in San Luis Obispo. If Bakersfield drives you crazy with the heat, stay away from any inland location along the Central Coast (inland is different than coastal valley like San Luis Obispo), they are just as hot but not as often. I'd give the inland locations around an 80% chance of having the same hot weather as Bakersfield! So stay away from Atascadero, Santa Margarita, Paso Robles, San Miguel. You mentioned Cayucos. That's a great location if you're interested in actually enjoying the beach most of the summer. Morro Bay is often overcast or solid fogged in even on days when Cayucos is not because they say Cayucos is a south facing beach but that's not true, its a west facing beach that generally has a slight southern exposure, but that's enough combined with the coastal range behind it to keep it less foggy there.

Anyway, I'm a local. When you get here and want to hook up sometime, just send a message!
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    I live in San Luis Obispo. If Bakersfield drives you crazy with the heat, stay away from any inland location along the Central Coast (inland is different than coastal valley like San Luis Obispo), they are just as hot but not as often. I'd give the inland locations around an 80% chance of having the same hot weather as Bakersfield! So stay away from Atascadero, Santa Margarita, Paso Robles, San Miguel. You mentioned Cayucos. That's a great location if you're interested in actually enjoying the beach most of the summer. Morro Bay is often overcast or solid fogged in even on days when Cayucos is not because they say Cayucos is a south facing beach but that's not true, its a west facing beach that generally has a slight southern exposure, but that's enough combined with the coastal range behind it to keep it less foggy there.

Anyway, I'm a local. When you get here and want to hook up sometime, just send a message!
    Awesome info! Thank you very much!

I guess I have a couple more questions that are both on and off topic for various reasons.

While visiting a friend in Cayucos, I checked out SLO, Morrow Bay and Pismo. They all seemed like wholesome towns, but a friend said that at least in SLO, there's a lot of crime. I'm not really afraid to move there (or anywhere), but what is it really like in these towns? Are there many homeless people? I don't mean to sound bad, but homeless people make excellent models. Plus a lot of them are intellligent, interesting people who have excellent life stories. Worth throwing them a few bucks and buying them a meal in exchange for being allowed to shoot a couple rolls and get your ear talked off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Awesome info! Thank you very much!

I guess I have a couple more questions that are both on and off topic for various reasons.

While visiting a friend in Cayucos, I checked out SLO, Morrow Bay and Pismo. They all seemed like wholesome towns, but a friend said that at least in SLO, there's a lot of crime. I'm not really afraid to move there (or anywhere), but what is it really like in these towns? Are there many homeless people? I don't mean to sound bad, but homeless people make excellent models. Plus a lot of them are intellligent, interesting people who have excellent life stories. Worth throwing them a few bucks and buying them a meal in exchange for being allowed to shoot a couple rolls and get your ear talked off.

Morro Bay Crime in San Luis Obispo? Certainly they must be talking about University students on campus. I don't know about crime in this town except for one murder in several years time span. I don't even know about any car breakins or robberies. The cops have hardly any work to do, honestly. This is a historic spanish mission/colonial city that has been bypassed by whatever population growth has occured in California throughout the years. It's an idyllic location. Forbes magazine rated San Luis Obispo as the number 1 city in USA in terms of desirability to live here. That's really saying something for a city frozen at 45,000 population. The University (California Polytechnic (cal poly) University at San Luis Obispo), is the highest ranked graduate university in the country! There's something special about this place in other ways as well.

As far as homelessness is concerned, well you'll find more homeless per square foot in Los Angeles, to be sure. Probably more homeless in Santa Barbara too. I don't need to mention San Fransicko, do I? But sure, we have homeless people here. But is it out of control? I don't think so. We have a lake, creeks, lots of woods and rolling land. Natural settings that they usually camp out at. Gone in the morning. It's not really in your face. Though, the other week, to be completely fair, there was a jogger on one of our bike trails (a good deal of our bike trails are separate from roads and sidewalks, some go into the woods areas) and he got a busted collarbone from some "transient looking character" that asked him for money and slammed him to the ground when he said he didn't have his wallet with him. I don't know the guy that happened to, but let me tell you this, there's no way that transient looking character would have gotten a chance to do that to me! I'd have put him in the hospital. Anyway, you were asking about homeless people as a photographic study. Go ahead and shoot away! If you need help finding them, I'll show you where they hang out! Laguna Lake Park is one place. San Luis Obispo Creek is another.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [paraphrase]a bunch of stuff about SLO[/paraphrase]
    Damn you! You're making me want to be there already!

I'm not a hundred percent sure how I'm gonna get a job there, but I hope to be living there as soon as possible. Wanna help me get a job?

Thank you for all the information!
    Last edited by bushpig; 09-03-2010 at 04:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Damn you! You're making me want to be there already!

I'm not a hundred percent sure how I'm gonna get a job there, but I hope to be living there as soon as possible. Wanna help me get a job?

Thank you for all the information!

This message to anyone who wants to relocate to the best city in America and needs help finding a job!

http://slojobs.com/

Don't bother with any of the major job sites. You'll be living a thousand lifetimes before you find any listing on those. We are a tight knit community of sorts. None of the employers worth working for advertise in Craigslist, or Monster, or any other job site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This message to anyone who wants to relocate to the best city in America and needs help finding a job!

http://slojobs.com/

Don't bother with any of the major job sites. You'll be living a thousand lifetimes before you find any listing on those. We are a tight knit community of sorts. None of the employers worth working for advertise in Craigslist, or Monster, or any other job site.
    I like the idea of getting a whole bunch of APUG users to move to SLO. Just wait until I get a job and get settled in first. I don't want the rest of you to take all the jobs before I can grab one!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the idea of getting a whole bunch of APUG users to move to SLO. Just wait until I get a job and get settled in first. I don't want the rest of you to take all the jobs before I can grab one!
    This thread caught my eye because I grew up in the Napa Valley, and my sisters now live in Modesto and Turlock.

SLO is nice, but my commute is already long enough! I'm working in New York 5 days/week and living in Boston. My wife likes her Boston-based job, and our kids are settled in schools. Sigh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    This thread caught my eye because I grew up in the Napa Valley...
    Where? I was over in Pope Valley for years, up 'til not long ago.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin