Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,876   Online: 1083

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can speak only for my own little corner of San Francisco, but like others here I can say there is DEFINITELY an Analog Photo aspect to the Bay Area. It is not, as of yet, organized. I would like to put an offer out here though. If anyone would like to have some type of APUG meeting in San Francisco, I will gladly volunteer a meeting place: Newlab. We just moved to 8th Street and have a pretty cool space. So...if anyone feels up to it, please feel free to contact me about using Newlab as a place to meet. The one thing I hear over an over again is the lack of community that photography offers these days (most people miss that part of going to a lab to drop off film) and I have always seen good come out of people meeting and sharing ideas about photography.
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    But we get the most beautiful fog, and magic hour TWICE a day!
    Twice a day in SF, but not that often out here beyond the east bay hills. Wonderful when it does happen though.
    Nikon FM2n (20/3.5, 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 55/3.5, 135/2.8), Pentax 645n (55/2.8), 3rd Eye Cameraworks 6x18 (on its way)

http://kthompson.jalbum.net/KurtThompson/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Check out PhotoCentral in Hayward. It's an excellent resource with classes, workshop, beautiful rental darkrooms and a gallery. If you live in the Bay Area and love film photography you need to know about PhotoCentral.

In Berkeley visit Photolab and the Photolab Gallery. The gallery exhibits only photography, mostly but not exclusively analog. New exhibit every 6 weeks provides great support and promotion for local artists. Photolab is a fully equiped analog black and white commercial photo lab (besides the usual digital), which indicates a healthy market for traditional photo processes.

There is a huge contingent of Lomo, Holga, Diana camera fans in the Bay Area. I recently participated in a Lomo workshop at Propville in Marin.

I can keep going with more ideas and options, but that's enough for you to get started!
    Andrea McLaughlin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello

I can not claim that I read through every post but... anyone else in the South Bay?? Morgan Hill or Gilroy??

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odonate View Post
    Hello

I can not claim that I read through every post but... anyone else in the South Bay?? Morgan Hill or Gilroy??

Steve
    I live in the far frozen north of san jose. Welcome. You got some nice scenery to shoot down there, especially if you like live oak.

Why don't you post something on the introductory threads, let us know a bit about you?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea McLaughlin View Post

I can keep going with more ideas and options, but that's enough for you to get started!
    Andrea, great to know that Photolab is still in business. I just pulled out your price list from 1996, perhaps I should drop by and get it updated. Still at Bancroft Way?

Terry

Shooter
    4x5 Format

I'm in!!

I'm a complete beginner, but I would love to join any photographers on shooting trips or anything. That's the best way to learn. I live and work in SF. Email me to let me know where you would like to meet. I'm about to start getting into Large Format. I got the camera but need everything else. It'll take me a while to get there, but we could also go out to shoot LF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    I'm a complete beginner, but I would love to join any photographers on shooting trips or anything. That's the best way to learn. I live and work in SF. Email me to let me know where you would like to meet. I'm about to start getting into Large Format. I got the camera but need everything else. It'll take me a while to get there, but we could also go out to shoot LF.
    Problem is.. you live in The City. Nothing much interesting to shoot there. perhaps you need to come down here and shoot some track homes some weekend day?

Welcome. Let us know how your LF experience is coming and what help you might need.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have just started LF too, but I also shoot MF. I process and print at home. I live in Marin.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I live in the Bay Area (Oakland) and am keeping the darkroom practices alive and well! There are quite a few of us here and ample resources, of course including the aforementioned Rayko center for photography in San Francisco. There are also groups of us that meet up for Salon style discussions to look at and talk about work. Point in fact, The San Francisco bay area is rich with every aspect of art that you could possibly imagine and there is no shortage of amazing photographers, galleries, or museums. I couldn't make up a better place to be an artist, except perhaps New York.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin